Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
savx13

Uk spec 05 wr450 lights

22 posts in this topic

I have an 05 wr450 (uk spec) which i have owned from new. I use it for trail riding and enduros, i also use it on the road in supermotard trim! Last month it suddenly started blowing bulbs, i got my meter out and checked the voltage at the headlight it was 24volts @5000rpm , i thought it may be the regulator but after looking at the lighting circuit it does not use it! The regulator/rectifier on my bike deals with the ignition and charging side of things (DC) and my lighting circuit is unregulated (AC) which i find strange! A friend of mine has the exact same model bike as me and his is wired up exactly the same as mine (uk spec) yet he has 14volts max at the headlight, its as if my lighting coil has suddenly started producing more power. anyone got any ideas what could be causing this problem!!

Mine (2004) has bulb issues too, im interested to hear if anybody has iny ideas too.

Cheers.

my 2005 had the same problem, changend the rectifier/regulator and it was just fine

It only took me 3 bulbs before i got the voltmeter out:bonk:

I think i'm going to end up doing that! i just dont undertand how it can affect the lights as is it not on the lighting circuit!

By the way did you get a genuine yam regulator or an aftermarket one and how much was it!

yup, sounds like the voltage regulator/rectifier went bad .... same thing happened to my 250 ....... I did discover that yamaha came out with an updated version of it though ......

Is the problem regulator the alloy finned one on headstock?

Cheers

Lennie.

This is a commen problem , IF you run them without the headlight on .

After my problem, and replacement reg, I always run with the light on.

Though when the lights went out it was when I started up the bike at night after I was coming out from a place for dinner, and for some really strange reason I didn't drink anything, which was a good thing when the cop decided to come and investigate me when I was pulled over on the side of the road checking things out. He (and the second car) reallly wanted to nail me for something, as they were still in a feeding frenzy after "the biker rally", but in the end I just rode off back to my house, a whole few blocks away ..... whew!

Is the regulator that causes this problem the finned one on the headstock?

Cheers

Lennie.

Is the regulator that causes this problem the finned one on the headstock?

Cheers

Lennie.

on my 03 it is at a different place, down by the kickstarter ..... on newer models it's up on the steering neck which I thnk is a better place for it, away from the hot exhaust pipe!

on my 03 it is at a different place, down by the kickstarter ..... on newer models it's up on the steering neck which I thnk is a better place for it, away from the hot exhaust pipe!

Nice one. What seems like a stupid place to put a heat sink, next to an exhaust pipe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead::busted::D

Has anybody found anybody who sells these for a decent price yet???

Ive tested mine and its faulty so neeed another, any ideas where? Im getting between 2v and 3v when i rev the bike at the lights and on the regulator so it must be fooked.

I think I got mine through the thumpertalk oem store, which is different than the regular thumpertalk store btw .... don't know if they ship across the pond though ....

I read they sell them but its not worth me paying to be a member if i dont know if the ship to the uk and if i dont know the prices. :banghead:

Any other ideas?

Cheers

LEnnie

I'm betting it's only an oem kind of part ..... hows'bout a local dealer? and time to network with some of your blokes over there.

I got a new voltage regulator / rectifier and went for a ride today, 37 riders!!!!!!!!!! Cool ride.

The bad bit was my light blew again, any tips for what to check? Im a little lost for what to do now????????

Cheers

Lennie.

make sure there's only about 14 volts dc going to your battery ...... and for spark, well, I'm not sure about that, other than those things you'd be ok to ride it sounds, just not with that headlight on ......... maybe there's a short in the stator it's self? ........ hummm ...... you got got to get a meter on your bike to really know what's going on .......

I have had the meter on the bike and it made it seem the regulator was dodgey. I did the checks in the manual as well as checking the power at the lights.

Maybe a bad earth? Or a damaged wire somewhere. :banghead::busted::D :D :D