HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allanwessels

Switching to 19in rear wheel

6 posts in this topic

I noticed all of the MX bikes are 19in in the rear but the 'off-road' bikes are 18in, why is that? What are the implications of upgrading my wr450 to a 19in rear?

Thx

From what I understand, the 19 is lighter, but for desert type riding (aka not groomed track), the 18 with more sidewall will resist pinch flats.

John in Vegas

the 19 is lighter, but for desert type riding (aka not groomed track), the 18 with more sidewall will resist pinch flats.

this is correct

Unless you are riding primarily MX, stay with the 18". They put the 18" on there for a reason, it will better withstand the punishment off road riding puts on the wheels... it's usually the guys with 19" rears that want to swap to a 18":ride:

There is no advantage to a 19" rear wheel on an off road bike. I could understand wanting to switch to a 19" if 18" tire selection was crappy, but it isn't :thumbsup:

The 19" rear wheel was implemented for MX performance, i.e., lighter weight and less flex in the sidewall for cornering stability. The downside to the 19" is less rim protection and less flex in the sidewall meaning less traction on roots, rocks, and generally any ungroomed surface. There is also a greater selection of 18" tires (including trials tires). I think you would be hard pressed to find anybody competing in the GNCC, WEC, WORCS, etc. (basically anything other than MX) that is using a 19" rear wheel.

If you really want to go to a 19" just post up in the YZ forum that you want to do a trade...you will get bombarded with offers!