Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
athletic99

How Much is too Much XR650R / XR650L

23 posts in this topic

New to the board...yay!

Looking to buy a BRP. I don't care which of the two versions I get, as they are difficult to find used, as well as unabused.

How much mileage should be the cut off point for one of these things?

I know that 1500km of abusive riding can be as bad as 10K of easy riding...but I'd like an idea if anyone has some input.

thx

650l's are everywhere used. 650r's are a little harder to find. If it's been properly maintained that motor will go on forever. That probably doesn't help you much. I see low mileage examples on ebay all the time.

any help is better than nothing at all.

I just know that on a street bike, although they may last longer than this in most cases 30,000 is a no no.

dirt bikes are different and engine rebuilds etc, are an unknown for me.

Hold on! A BRP is a XR650R. That term is exclusive to the XRR. It is not allowed, by orders of thethe official BRP Committe, to be used when disussing the 'L' model.

You have been warned.

I never kept track of mileage to much and never worried about it. Rather buy a high mileage Honda than a low mileage example of anything else for reliability. Some of the L owners will chime in with stories of how far theirs have gone I'm sure. I also PM'ed you where to look for one in Ontario.

"Hold on! A BRP is a XR650R. That term is exclusive to the XRR. It is not allowed, by orders of thethe official BRP Committe, to be used when disussing the 'L' model.You have been warned."

The "L" is much more of a pig than the R !

"Hold on! A BRP is a XR650R. That term is exclusive to the XRR. It is not allowed, by orders of thethe official BRP Committe, to be used when disussing the 'L' model.You have been warned."

The "L" is much more of a pig than the R !

The R is the little piggy and the L is the BIG piggy.......:thumbsup::busted:

So thats how it is Mike.

ya unless I am riding with a R but than again I can't keep up with a somene on a crf 50 .....lol:ride:

My uncle had a older 650L that he used hard over many years, he used it to commute any day it wasnt raining, and took long adventure trips with it. I think he sold it with around 45,000 miles on it. Im just quessing but i think around 35,000 he said he did a rebiuld, with a new piston and rings.

Ive already got 4,000 miles on my XR650R and ive only owned it for 5 months, so im definatly expecting to put 10's of thousands of miles on it, milege isant a huge issue if you ask me, because they can always be freshend up:thumbsup:

It is afterall an "XR"

My uncle had a older 650L that he used hard over many years, he used it to commute any day it wasnt raining, and took long adventure trips with it. I think he sold it with around 45,000 miles on it. Im just quessing but i think around 35,000 he said he did a rebiuld, with a new piston and rings.

Ive already got 4,000 miles on my XR650R and ive only owned it for 5 months, so im definatly expecting to put 10's of thousands of miles on it, milege isant a huge issue if you ask me, because they can always be freshend up:thumbsup:

It is afterall an "XR"

:thumbsup::busted:

If you ride off road much get a 650 r as it's twice the bike off road.The650L is ok if you just commute and mess around on the street actually for that its a much better choice because it was born street legal.

On the R I've seen guys get between 12-20K before a rebuild. Got a friend with one that has nearly 30K of hard/race miles and rebuilt only once.

The R is the little piggy and the L is the BIG piggy.......:thumbsup::busted:

I've heard that the L is the BFP; the F meaning fat, according to some...

If you ride off road much get a 650 r as it's twice the bike off road.The650L is ok if you just commute and mess around on the street actually for that its a much better choice because it was born street legal.

I love to quibble- the XRL was not born street legal, they detuned and added street carp (lbs!) to an XR600R.

Dave

New to the board...yay!

Looking to buy a BRP. I don't care which of the two versions I get, as they are difficult to find used, as well as unabused.

thx

Just to make it clear. These are two separate bikes. They are not versions of each other. The L model is not the street legal version of the R model. They have two completely different motors, frames and so on. Not one similarity except that both are 650cc and both are made by Honda.

The R is water cooled and meant to be raced wide open though it will do anything you ask of it.

The L is air cooled and almost 50lbs heavier than the R.

Since both are made by Honda they share the reliability that Honda's XR line is famed for. :thumbsup:

I've heard that the L is the BFP; the F meaning fat, according to some...

Man , I thought that they where talking about me ( fat ) not the bike ...:busted: :busted: :thumbsup:

The L model is air cooled vs the water cooled R. The L model has electric start vs a kick start on a R. Now for a small guy like me ( 6',160lbs) Its hard to kick a big bore over in the middle of a steep hill after a stall. As for power, available parts, and mods, the R. Either one, I think you would be happy! My two cents. :thumbsup:

The L model is air cooled vs the water cooled R. The L model has electric start vs a kick start on a R. Now for a small guy like me ( 6',160lbs) Its hard to kick a big bore over in the middle of a steep hill after a stall. As for power, available parts, and mods, the R. Either one, I think you would be happy! My two cents. :thumbsup:

I never have a problem kicking the 650R when its warm out, but after a drop its not fun!:busted: :busted:

Also after getting out of basketball practice a few days ago, i could barly get the thing started, my legs were killing me from running and it was 22 degree's out:rant: