Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
intrex

YZ426 Petcock no reserve position.

6 posts in this topic

I just got a mint 2000 YZ426F. I would like to replace the on/off petcock with one that has a reserve position. I am wondering if a petcock from some other model will bolt on.

I just got a mint 2000 YZ426F. I would like to replace the on/off petcock with one that has a reserve position. I am wondering if a petcock from some other model will bolt on.

The WR's had reserve. Order one from a 2000 WR400. :thumbsup:

The WR's had reserve. Order one from a 2000 WR400. :thumbsup:

You will attain your reserve position in doing that, however you won't have a lot of gain from this. The reserve straw on the WR petcock was made for the WR tank, which had a very slim lower portion, and therefore a very tall straw. With your stock YZ tank, you'll hit reserve waaaay early. Plan on modifying the straw to keep from hitting "reserve" after 10 miles. (ok, maybe 20)

I have thought of that, but I wonder if the tank mounting is the same? Does the YZ have two holes in the tank to allow for both a on and reserve tap?

Okay, I went to cyclepartswarehouse.com and pulled up the fuel tank diagrams for both bikes. The fuel petcocks look identical with the exception of the "reserve straw". It looks like the petcock will be a perfect fit. It should be easy to modify the straw length as necessary. Thanks for the suggestions.

I had one other problem of no kickstand but solving that was easy. I found a frame mount kickstand on E-Bay from "kenr775" who makes and sells them for a variety of MX models, his feedback is excellent so I ordered one for $52. Plus $10. shipping.

I have thought of that, but I wonder if the tank mounting is the same? Does the YZ have two holes in the tank to allow for both a on and reserve tap?

Yes it does.