46,000 miles

I just purchased a complete 650l used. The piston fried, but not that bad. He did not want to put time and energy into it. The amazing part is that the engine is original stock. He never removed smog, nothing. 46,000 miles before minor melt down. Thats pretty darn good!

I just purchased a complete 650l used. The piston fried, but not that bad. He did not want to put time and energy into it. The amazing part is that the engine is original stock. He never removed smog, nothing. 46,000 miles before minor melt down. Thats pretty darn good!

Wow, that' a lot of miles. Is there anything left of the mechanics and motor? That's equivilant to 368,000 in a car.......

stock jetting finally put er down.:thumbsup:

Jetting should have taken its toll alot sooner if stock jetting is as bad as we all think. Depending on where the bike resided and elevation. I say oil starvation. 46k is too many miles in my opinion to be a lean problem, even though they do run lean.

I believe it was a combo of things. One it was stock with stock jetting. Two the oil that is coming out is Black. Probably using crap oil and not changing to often. Three he was using the stock crappy air filter, so who know what was getting in there.

Jetting should have taken its toll alot sooner if stock jetting is as bad as we all think. Depending on where the bike resided and elevation. I say oil starvation. 46k is too many miles in my opinion to be a lean problem, even though they do run lean.

maybe, but i beleive that when they are running hotter with stock jetting, they are running hotter.

we all know heat kills engines and melts pistons.

46k is pretty good though!

Yeah I'm more inclined to say a combination of the two also, and like you stated Martin 46k is pretty damn good for a single cylinder.:thumbsup:

If its ALL left stock (snorkel, wings, gearing, rear tire) the stock jetting is probably adequately rich to keep the temps acceptably low, if ridden 'nicely'.

Toss in a beer gut, wheelies, 70mph into a headwind, wheelies, a passenger now-and-then, clogging the fins with muck, blasting through the sand, then the jetting is too lean.

Dave

HA HA GOOD 1 DAVE:lol:

:busted:

If its ALL left stock (snorkel, wings, gearing, rear tire) the stock jetting is probably adequately rich to keep the temps acceptably low, if ridden 'nicely'.

Toss in a beer gut, wheelies, 70mph into a headwind, wheelies, a passenger now-and-then, clogging the fins with muck, blasting through the sand, then the jetting is too lean.

Dave

ya exactly, how many L riders does this describe!:thumbsup:

That is a ton of miles. a lot of time on non LC bikes, the rings will lose there temper, it's downhill from there. how did the cyl. wall look when you tore it apart?