Trouble Starting my 04 450WR

Sorry its an 03 not 04

I just bought a 03WR and it takes about 60 good kicks to start it when its cold, and it wont start with the electric start, I put a new plug in it and cleaned the carb up, but it still wont start up with kicking the hell out of it. But if I bump start it going about 5-7mph in 2nd gear it starts right up.. When its warmed up it will start on 1-2 kicks. What could be the problem? Thanks

Sorry its an 03 not 04

I just bought a 03WR and it takes about 60 good kicks to start it when its cold, and it wont start with the electric start, I put a new plug in it and cleaned the carb up, but it still wont start up with kicking the hell out of it. But if I bump start it going about 5-7mph in 2nd gear it starts right up.. When its warmed up it will start on 1-2 kicks. What could be the problem? Thanks

Carb needs a really good cleaning.

Check your valve clearances too...SC

Good advice:thumbsup:

ill give that a try when i get hope ill take it all apart..Thanks

Use carb cleaner and compressed air. Remove all jets and covers - watch out for exploding springs and tiny o-rings when you do so. Squirt, let sit for a while and blow out with compressed air. Repeat a couple of times. Pay special attention to the pilot jet and passages. Note all your jet sizes, needle type/position, for future trouble shooting if the cleaning doesn't work. The bike should KICKSTART by just looking at it (well, a half-assed kick is usually sufficient). The e-starter, on the other hand, is a whole different story - good luck with that.

I was thinking it might be the valves because it will start right up when I bump start it... Thanks for the help

Do you know the history of the bike and/or previous owner? What kind of condition is it in?

The 03 was a very good starting bike, your intake valves need to be adjusted! You will most likely find them very tight. See if you can find out if the valves were replaced when the engine was over hauled. The manual has all the info you need to do the repairs, if you have it.