Should I get a WR450?

I currently own an 02 YZ426 and it is a blast, but I think the WR may be more for me. I usually ride the desert and no track.

Pros of YZ:

1. Fast

2. lighter...

Cons:

1. Starting is a biiiiitch. Probably going to put an 03 cam to ease starting.

2. no light

3. quick ratio gearbox

What do you guys think of your WRs? Have you converted from YZs?

What should I expect to pay for an 03 WR450 with 700 miles?

Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks

Are you from California? Cause the 03 WR's are red stricker bikes, I have one, the good thing about an 03 is that its not all choked down, they had less immission stuff on them in 03 thats why they are red sticker " great bike you can do so many diffenent things with the WR plus its an electric start(NICE!!!!!) I paid 3,500 for a used 03 with about 500 miles on it.

Good luck

Thanks blue rider, that's good info on the red sticker, my 02 YZ is green sticker. That means alot to us So Cal guys. This guys is asking $3600 for an 03 with 700miles. depending on it's shape i think it's a little high.

Are the 04s green sticker?

I also noticed the 03 WR450s had a woodruff key problem.

Unless you can verify that the bike has had all the starter peripheral upgrades done to it, and had the flywheel nut correctly torqued, I'd stay away from the 03s. In addition, the starters them selves are kinda suspect on the 03s.

Regarding the Green/Red sticker issue, weren't the 03's grandfathered into the Green Sticker program?

Bought an 04 WR450 this past spring from a private individual...660 miles...skid plate...frame guards...bark busters...all uncork mods except the gray wire...Boyesen quick shot...hardly a scratch on it (not that way now) paid $3400.

Moved "up" from a XR600R, so I can't help you with the yz/wr comparison.

I just bought a mint condition 04 Wr450 with 800 miles on it for $3800. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and I love this bike! It's plated and that makes a world of difference here in NJ. I would recommend this bike to anyone that wants great power.....good suspension.....and good trail manners.?

I have an 04 WR and an 03 YZ. I always take the WR for desert trail riding. For desert riding the 4 speed YZ is geared too low for my taste. My buddy has an 03 WR and has had lots of problems with the starter/woodruff key stuff. He is finally having the 04 starter put on but it's quite expensive. I'd stay away from the 03 unless this has been corrected unless you are getting a smokin deal.