Hello everyone I need help with my yz400f!(please)

Well im new to thumper talk and Im allready apart of dirtrider.net allready and they dont seem too wanna help me out with my yz400f.It has a edelbrock carburetor and I was just wondering if this a 4-wheller carb.Cause I cannot find them anywere for dirtbikes.Any sugestions?Oh yeah Im new to 4-strokes also.Just got the bike 2 days ago:applause: Ive had 2-strokes in the past.And moved up to 4-strokes.And my bike is really hard to start.The carb dosent have a choke???its a auto choke:banghead:

Not too many people know much about Edelbrock carbs, mostly because almost no one uses them. They work well once they get set up right, but that can be a lot of work. Edelbrock's web site might be a good place to look for info, and you can run a search here, too.

YZ400's are tricky to start when they run right. If they do run right, and you know how it's done, they start reliably enough, but you really can't get away with deviating from the drill.

Go the the index page of this forum, find the Common Threads Sticky at the top of the index, and look near the bottom of that page for two starting how-to's from Yamaha. See if that helps.

I have a 1999 YZ400F and I have a hell of a time getting it started. Although my bike was having issues with the head assembly, its always been very hard to start.

About the backfiring, its not normal. there is something wrong with your bike. the jetting may be off. Just make sure to find out the correct way to start your bike. the old way of starting two stroke bikes does not work with the four stroke bike. I have learned that if you give the bike too much gas while trying to start it...you flood the enging with gas and then it back fires. I have had my bike for about a year but I still have not got the starting drill down to an art. ust do a search on this forum and you can find the best way to start you bike.

After you get that down......make sure to enjoy your bike!!!! the older 400's are a blast to ride!!!!

Patrick M.

About the backfiring, its not normal.

I disagree. Read:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3710599#post3710599

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3350613#post3350613

As to the header:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236304

Man why couldnt the bike come with the original carb:censored: ...its funny though you think the carb would be much better considering it cost $430 brand new!...
Here's the deal: The $400 price tag is less than half the cost of a new FCR, to start with, so I guess that means it only has to be half as good? Also,understand that Edelbrock never said at any point that that carb was made for the 400; they only list them for Harley applications. You have to understand that the carb on your bike is being adapted to an application it is suited for, but was not made for. It's going to take some work to get it right.

Besides, so far, you haven't really said anything about the bike that makes me think the carb is that far from right as is. ?

Well im new to thumper talk and Im allready apart of dirtrider.net allready and they dont seem too wanna help me out with my yz400f.It has a edelbrock carburetor and I was just wondering if this a 4-wheller carb.Cause I cannot find them anywere for dirtbikes.Any sugestions?Oh yeah Im new to 4-strokes also.Just got the bike 2 days ago:applause: Ive had 2-strokes in the past.And moved up to 4-strokes.And my bike is really hard to start.The carb dosent have a choke???its a auto choke:banghead:

if u want ill trade u my stock yz400f carb mine starts when the temps are in the teens or if its 110 degresss outside hot or cold my bike will start easiley. ?

I have had a yz400f for about 2years and love it!!!, but I tell you when I first got it I hated it.? couldn't get it started for nothing in the world., but once I learned the starting sequence it started on 2nd kick cold and first kick warm. I can start it easily no matter what situation I 'm in, :busted: it's easiest to start if you bring it up to compression,press your decompression lever and just bump it past compression, then bring your kick start up for a ful kick and it will start every time> never touch the throttle while trying to start it will never fire and you will flood it

For all the nay sayers about the Edelbrock.... It is not that hard to set up. All the tuning is external. It pulls harder through the mid to top than my FCR. The off idle response is awesome. My FCR was good and my bike ran great with it. But, the Edelbrock was worth the money. One click with the mixture goes a long way. Good Luck!!

Hey crazy what is the setting on your carb?Mine is the edel too.It is about 50 to 60 degrees over here in texas.how do you adjust it?or do the jetting? do you have to take the carb off the bike?I really need to no.Cause I tried to go out there later after I started it and it didnt start????It has to be the valves if the carb isnt messed up! can you please tell me how to adjust the carb...It would mean the world too me.....

Well, since it would mean the world to you, how can I refuse. It sounds like you do not have the red external adjust knob on the top of your carb. No big deal, just requires a little more work. There should be a plug on the top of your carb. You need to remove the plug and use a 3/16 flat tip screwdriver to set the metering. There is a needle adjuster on top of the slide. You might want to take off the slide top just so you can see what is going on in there. Clockwise to richen and counter clockwise to lean. Richen all the way (clockwise) counting the clicks on the way in. Then go out 12 clicks (standard). Mine is at 10 clicks. Go to Edelbrock's website and go to off-road and you can find tuning instructions for the carb. See if you can get the external adjuster for your carb. It makes tuning easier. The brass screw on the float bowl is the accelerator pump adjust. Standard is 1 3/4 turns out. Loosen the jam nut and make your adjustment. If you can't find the instructions online, let me know and I can email them to you. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

yes it does have the red knob.Is that for the jetting?I thought on normal carbs you had too do the jetting on the bottom of the carb?I was scared of doing the jetting cause I thought there were like a bunch of different screws to adjust???So were do I go from now?I will check the edelbrock Website.Dude not to sound like a sissy or anything but I started crying when I thought about how easy my 04 cr125 was too start.See I traded my cr for this bike!About 3 days ago.I will never forget how much fun I had on my honda.I never had any problems with it at all.Im starting too teer up now just thinking about it.I loved it but I had to go and trade it....:busted: I wish I had my other bike back soooo bad.I would even give him money on top just to get my other bike back!? I want this bike too work soo bad but my lack of skill just shuts me down:bonk: And lack of money:banghead:What do you have too take off to adjust the valves?Do you have to take the whole motor apart?(or take the motor off the bike)

What do you have too take off to adjust the valves?Do you have to take the whole motor apart?(or take the motor off the bike)

Okay, take a deep breath and calm down. No need for tears, you are in the right place for some help. Put down the coffee and no more Mt Dew (you definitely don't need more caffene or sugar right now). I have no knowledge of the carb or how to adjust it, but others here surely do.

No, you do not have to take the engine apart or even off the bike to check the valves. You have to take the seat and tank and valve cover off, but it is all easy to do with a little common sense and normal hand tools.

First things first, go to this link and download a copy of the owners/service manual for your bike. Make sure you read the whole valve check / adjustment proceedure before doing anything.

http://www.yamahaownershandbook.com.au/?r=0

Second, follow this link and read the abridged proceedures for checking and adjusting your valves. This is the proceedure that I use when doing my valves, and it is awesome. Print it out and follow it like a recipe.

http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/tech/valves.html

After you get the valves figured out, change the spark plug, and follow the starting proceedures spelled out in the owner's manual. Get it running and then work on the carb.