HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slinkyman16

exhaust system or Zip-Ty racing carb mod?

27 posts in this topic

Ive got some money comming my way and i want to upgrade my bike to fix 1 or 2 things. and i have a list of things i want to improve but i need to know which i should do first.

As is sits right now by bike is stock. except for a 14t 50t rear. im possibly going to a 51t havnt decided.

My major problem is that i hate the bog that ive been getting when i get on the gas. it hesitates and bogs down when im landing and heading into a sharp turn. and im wondering if the zipty race mod and r&d float bowl will fix this.

my other problem is in the power department. Im more then happy with the performance of the stock exhaust but would like to get more low end grunt for gettting out of corners better and getting up some elevation changes like Cemx has. so i was thinking an exhaust would help in this department.. or i could step up to a 51t rear and keep the front the stock 14t.

i dunno what i should do first.. the carb mod to fix my bogging or an exhaust system to fix the power problem.. anyone have any insight on which is better for my situation? eventually im getting both done but can only do 1 or the other.

im leaning more towards the carb mod at this moment in time...

Ive got some money comming my way and i want to upgrade my bike to fix 1 or 2 things. and i have a list of things i want to improve but i need to know which i should do first.

As is sits right now by bike is stock. except for a 14t 50t rear. im possibly going to a 51t havnt decided.

My major problem is that i hate the bog that ive been getting when i get on the gas. it hesitates and bogs down when im landing and heading into a sharp turn. and im wondering if the zipty race mod and r&d float bowl will fix this.

my other problem is in the power department. Im more then happy with the performance of the stock exhaust but would like to get more low end grunt for gettting out of corners better and getting up some elevation changes like Cemx has. so i was thinking an exhaust would help in this department.. or i could step up to a 51t rear and keep the front the stock 14t.

i dunno what i should do first.. the carb mod to fix my bogging or an exhaust system to fix the power problem.. anyone have any insight on which is better for my situation? eventually im getting both done but can only do 1 or the other.

im leaning more towards the carb mod at this moment in time...

What year bike we talking about?

Get your bike running right as is before getting the pipe. You may find you have plenty of power once the bike is jetted correctly. I had great luck with a JD jet kit and R&D carb bowl with my 06 but the Zip-ty has received generally good reviews.

my bad 2007 yz450. i forgot to add that..

Maybe i'll see you at CEMX. If I were you i would get your jetting sorted out first. It really shouldn't be that far off stock. Once that is proper, I really think a pipe isn't going to make that much difference. 07's were a great bike. Oh yeah, and I really don't think you'd want to go to a 51 sprocket either. I alternate between the stock 49 and a 50. I'll use the 50 at places like Perris/Racetown/Comp Edge/ I-5 Gorman and the 49 at Glen helen and Cahuilla.

whatever is stock.. i havnt changed the front. only rear. 13-14 one of thos.. i dont have a book in front of me..

get the carb mod, i did and my bike rips now. i was going to get an exhaust but now theres no need to! there was such a big differnece in power once i got mine back. save the money get your carb dialed and spend your money ud save on exhaust on suspension, tires or hey just save it!

i'd go for the carb mod, i put a dr. d on my 07 and theres no noticeable difference in low end, but i think it needs to be rejetted so that could be it i guess.

Do both - but start with Zipty mod - you won't be disappointed. I would also consider the adj power bowl option from Zipty also.

Exhaust - WB or DRD would be my recommendations

I do not however think that the 51 toth rear sprocket is in your best interest unless the tracks you ride are very very tight w/o much lengthy straights....You will notice a hell of a lot more shifting than necessary and less top end

thanks. yeah if i got the carb mod done u was going to get the float bowl as well. get it all done in one shot. And from what ive been reading it looks like im going to be sticking with the 50.. it was inmprovement over stock but didnt cause me to shift a hell of a lot. thanks guys.. im gunna me ripping my carb off on monday.. anyone have any suggestions on how to make this go quicker and what to not disconnect.. i know not to disconect the tps sensor from the carb but just disconnect it, as it is a pain in the ass to get it right agian.

thanks. yeah if i got the carb mod done u was going to get the float bowl as well. get it all done in one shot. And from what ive been reading it looks like im going to be sticking with the 50.. it was inmprovement over stock but didnt cause me to shift a hell of a lot. thanks guys.. im gunna me ripping my carb off on monday.. anyone have any suggestions on how to make this go quicker and what to not disconnect.. i know not to disconect the tps sensor from the carb but just disconnect it, as it is a pain in the ass to get it right agian.

a very very important detail......only disconnect the coupler

ARPITA to get adjusted if you mistakenly disconnect the TPS on the carb, I know 1st hand

Some remove the shock - I did not

braces under the seat to motor - remove these

becareful removing throttle cables from the carb - they frey very easy. Remove from Throttle first

patience is needed to get the airboot back on the carb when reinstalling and maybe a spray of contact/carb cleaner APSOLUTELY NO WD40 or other lubricant

Go ahead a buy the hotstart nut - you will thank me later

and a Adj fuel screw is manditory!

yeah i hate that stupid plastic nut.. its such a pain in the ass to get the cable screwed on. i was going to get the full race mod.. 185+ the fuel bowl. 360 in total. and thanks for the tips..

yea i would do both. i did the zipty mod and a DR.D exhaust on my 06 at the same time and it was like riding a different bike. it started right up first kick and it just runs better. more low end and it pulls hard.. :thumbsup:

yea i would do both. i did the zipty mod and a DR.D exhaust on my 06 at the same time and it was like riding a different bike. it started right up first kick and it just runs better. more low end and it pulls hard.. :thumbsup:

So if you did both at the same time, how do you know which mod made any difference?

So if you did both at the same time, how do you know which mod made any difference?

you no that was the dumb thing i did.:thumbsup: but i noticed a big difference in starting and the the bike had a lot more snap to it, so thats is the carb. the bike just pulled really hard from the bottem to the top and that is the exhaust and help from the carb.

When reinstalling the airboot onto the carb first loosen the front clamp just enough that you can pull the back of the carb to the left just a little bit. This will give you just enough clearance from the shock to get the airboot on without a fight. No lubes needed, no muss, no fuss.

GA426 why do you say no WD on the boot when re-installing??

it just makes a mess and attracts dirt and grime. I found you dont really need anything to lube it - just twist it on