HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bongodave

XR650R Fork oil change

8 posts in this topic

I'm new to my BRP , and I don't have the owner's manual. Looked, but didn't find a how-to. On previous bikes there was a drain hole. Do I just take out the bottom adjuster? :thumbsup:

Nope.

Easiest way is to take the forks out of the trees, remove the top caps (watch out- they're loaded from below by the spring) and pour/pump the old oil out.

....and when you turn them upside down, you will want to pump them a bit, so beware of oil spurt.

Don't take out the bottom adjuster.................

Also, put in a tiny bit less oil volume than the manual suggests (20 vs 21.5oz). This will make it plusher.

I know the Deadhead symbol! The Hoosier with the new '07!

I'm putting Honda 5 wt., though I'm told some guys use 2.5. I'll probably use a little less, as suggested here, and see what I think.

My 2000 is a battered pos, but a few thousand dollars later, it's shaping up.

What can I say? I LIKE THAT ASS! It's creamy...

You should measure the oil height not the amount poured in. When you just drain the forks you don't always get it all. I believe the standard is 4.7 inches from the top of the tube with the sliders all the way down and the spring and rebound rod removed. Plus you know where you're at if you want to add or remove oil.