Lowering a WR450...Pro's and Con's?

I just recently picked up a 04 WR450 with an already installed lowering link in the rear(1.5 inches lower).

While I do think that it's great for my shorter leggs, I also think that my handling is a bit off. It doesn't seem to turn as well as I thought it would, so I slid the forks up to the second line and that seemed to help a bit.

Anybody have similar experience with a lowering link on their WR?

Thanks in advance.

Yes I lowered my 07 and ,it does not turn as well as it did ,but it feels better at high speed , a little more stable, less of a rut catcher .but does not cut a turn as well. fair trade I think

You loose 1.5 inches of travel.

Are you sure you lose travel? the shock's range of motion has not changed the only thing I changed was the starting point of the swing arm . not the length of the shock . I know I lost ground clearance . but my wr450 is not my all out race bike . it is my trail hopper dual sport . so for what it is for it suits the task . I'm not going to lower the other bike .

I just recently picked up a 04 WR450 with an already installed lowering link in the rear(1.5 inches lower).

While I do think that it's great for my shorter leggs, I also think that my handling is a bit off. It doesn't seem to turn as well as I thought it would, so I slid the forks up to the second line and that seemed to help a bit.

Anybody have similar experience with a lowering link on their WR?

Thanks in advance.

I have an 05 that I had professionally lowered (no lowering link)

I definitely needed it since I like to ride the technical stuff and my legs aren't super long.

Handling on the bike is not that great if it isn't properly sprung and the clickers adjusted correctly. I think the lowering link makes it more difficult to dial in properly.

My 05 doesn't turn all that well and it has nothing to do with the fact that I lowered it a bit. Sliding the forks up is a good thing to do.

Lowering links only lower the rear of the bike and give it that "waay coool chopper style" that makes it turn really nicely in a 10 acre lot, but not in the tight single track. If the bike needs to be lowered have it done correctly by a suspension shop. That way you can keep the balance of the bike and still reach the ground. My .02 --:thumbsup: WR Dave.

Thank you for all of your insight...:thumbsup: I greatly appreciate it.

It's turning slower because by dropping the rear you increased the rake (a-la west coast choppers.) I know that everyone says to have a suspension shop do it right by installing shorter springs, but for a trail cruiser couldn't you just drop the fork in the triple clamps the same amount as you lowered the rear? Seems like that would maintain stock geometry. What am I overlooking?

It's turning slower because by dropping the rear you increased the rake (a-la west coast choppers.) I know that everyone says to have a suspension shop do it right by installing shorter springs, but for a trail cruiser couldn't you just drop the fork in the triple clamps the same amount as you lowered the rear? Seems like that would maintain stock geometry. What am I overlooking?

The forks aren't verticle, so don't think that sliding them up 1 1/2 inches reduces the front height by the same. You need to figure that out.

Also, with your springs compressed more in the rear, I tend to think that the rear end will wallow a bit. You'll notice that when the turn isn't as smooth as asphalt.

I am in same situation- I installed a lowering link after racking myself up with several falls at a dead stop (I am 6') and I now am going to make an educated guess on raising the tubes in the clamps. I did not note height change in rear, so I do not know what change occured. I ride tight trail not MX- '03 WR450- any help at a guess of how much to raise the forks in the clamp? I was going to go 1/4" for the first try.

I know conventional wisdom is set it up proffessionally, but I paid $1800 for the bike- due to my location it would be $1000 to have it done right- for my riding style I just want to get it closer to level. Any suggestions would be appreciated.