First Rides on Rekluse Pro - '07 YZ450

I put the Rekluse Pro on my mighty '07 YZ450 and had the opportunity to ride a couple of times this weekend.

First off - the installation took about an hour. And that was taking my time. The instructions were so so and could have used some more photos.

The ride was awesome. Hills - no problem. Uphill waterfalls - fugetaboutit. Cut and trust single track - no worries, just hammer into a corner, brake slide or just brake hard into the corner, then let 'er rip and bam - it's right there. Loose, gnarly, rutted, rocky, uneven, long hill climbs. Just point and roll on the throttle - no drama, no spinning, no swapping, no grinding. Just smooth traction right on up.

The more I rode with it, the more I LOVED it. I traded bikes towards the end of the ride with a buddy who rides a KTM 300. He hopped on the 450 and went right up a loose, steep, narrow, rocky single track hill like it was flat ground. I was behind him (on the 300) slipping and grinding and reving and swapping. We got to the truck and all he could do was shake his head and say "it's cheating, it's cheating".

Other than not being able to bump start it, I couldn't find a circumstance where it wasn't awesome for any kind of trail riding. I haven't been to the track yet, but I'll let you know after I get a chance to do that.

Other than not being able to bump start it, I couldn't find a circumstance where it wasn't awesome for any kind of trail riding. I haven't been to the track yet, but I'll let you know after I get a chance to do that.

was it easy removing the clutch basket and primary grear before changing it with the rekluse pro?

It is not necessary to replace those parts with the Pro. You use the stock friction disks, stock clutch basket, stock clutch perch and cable, stock side cover, and stock actuation rod. They provide a new inner hub which bolts in from the outside, new clutch steels, and then the other components like springs, ball bearings, outer hub thing, etc. They also have options (with a chart) for which spring(s) and how many ball bearings to use depending on how you would like it to engage.

I've been on the fence about getting one, this doesn't help much. (I mean it makes me want one)

It is a breeze to install and I liked mine most of the time. However, I could not get past the stalling issues when riding MX so I removed it and Rekluse gave me 100% of my money back. So, there is no harm in trying it out for yourself.

I put the Rekluse Pro on my mighty '07 YZ450 and had the opportunity to ride a couple of times this weekend.

First off - the installation took about an hour. And that was taking my time. The instructions were so so and could have used some more photos.

The ride was awesome. Hills - no problem. Uphill waterfalls - fugetaboutit. Cut and trust single track - no worries, just hammer into a corner, brake slide or just brake hard into the corner, then let 'er rip and bam - it's right there. Loose, gnarly, rutted, rocky, uneven, long hill climbs. Just point and roll on the throttle - no drama, no spinning, no swapping, no grinding. Just smooth traction right on up.

The more I rode with it, the more I LOVED it. I traded bikes towards the end of the ride with a buddy who rides a KTM 300. He hopped on the 450 and went right up a loose, steep, narrow, rocky single track hill like it was flat ground. I was behind him (on the 300) slipping and grinding and reving and swapping. We got to the truck and all he could do was shake his head and say "it's cheating, it's cheating".

PLEASE let me know how you like it on an mx track! Im really wanting to try one but their pricey and dont wanna get one then hate it, cause i mostly only ride track.

I was also considering one. A friend of mine let me ride his crf with one. It took a little getting use to, and I only rode it a short time, and it did seem like cheating a little. However, I can see how one might really get use to it.

Please forgive my ignorance maddogyz250f, but why would they have stalling issues at the track. This is especially important to me because I started riding the track this year and I'm hooked.

did you notice the engine breaking disappeared? i wonder how hard they are on the stock basket? how was the break in?
Engine braking is not affected by a Rekluse. You are confusing the centrifugal Rekluse Auto clutch with a Back-torque limiting Slipper type clutch.

The Rekluse is engaged by centrifugal force, so it engages when the RPM rises above its stall speed, and won't disengage until you go slow enough for the RPM to drop below that point again. The engagement is solely dependent on engine speed though, so they can't be bump started. The other slightly odd thing is that you can leave them idle in gear and let the bike roll down a hill, and the clutch will never engage. If you blip the throttle, the clutch hooks up, an since the trans then spins the engine fast enough to maintain engagement, it stays connected.

I use mine on the track a lot. I rarely stall and in most cases it will benefit you in a tip over, the bike will just sit and idle in 3rd gear.

I really like it on the starts. Especially on a concrete start, the bike will launch off of the cement. I also like the fact that I can use the clutch lever if I want to.

In the Rekluse directions they "warn" you about lack of engine braking (freewheeling) even with the Pro. I idled down lots and lots of hills and almost tried to get it to disengage and couldn't. Engine braking stayed consistent as Grayracer mentioned. I have heard of stalling problems before, but it seems to be a function of setup and clutch adjustment (which you can do at the perch as before). For internal adjustment they give you a different size steel if you have to adjust the gap between discs. I did stall twice in a whole day of riding gnarly, rocky single track. I would have stalled 15 times normally.

For you off road racers; you can kick start in gear and in one motion start and launch - way faster than starting and dumping the clutch. For moto... I'm not sure. I think the worse the terrain, the better the Rekluse. So other than starts, I'm not sure how much advantage it would be on the track. Of course starts are everything....

I did stall twice in a whole day of riding gnarly, rocky single track. I would have stalled 15 times normally.

Any idea why you stalled? Could it be a jetting or setup issue? For me, the only point of an auto-clutch is as an anti-stall device to make a bike like the yzf450 suitable for riding and racing offroad (for a talentless kook like me).

I tried to stall the rekluse I rode on orbabill's 300 at 5MOH and I couldn't do it. I liked that part about the auto-clutch.

The couple of stalls I did have were partially operator error. If you wick the throttle in gear and then chop it, that is a lot of power transfer taking place in the blink of an eye, on an otherwise quick reving motocross bike. The fact that this device makes this thing into a smooth, powerful, easy to ride weapon is a wonderful thing.

If it tends to die under these circumstances, the usual culprit is rich pilot jetting.

Thanks. That's sort of what I surmised, but I'm pretty retarded when it comes to 4-stroke jetting. When the time comes that 2-strokes are no longer readily available or legal to ride, my plan is to get a kick-only 4stroke with auto clutch. Or maybe before then if I get some room in the garage.