HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yzfrider67

Heavier Flywheel?

11 posts in this topic

i have a 13oz flywheel weight on my 04 450 and it helped a lot over stock. unfortunately the singletrack i ride is extremely tight with hills that come out of nowhere with no run and go up to them. my bike is still a little too radical for these situatuins. does anyone use a 16oz flywheel weight? if so do you think its too much or is it worth it? thanks.

Sounds like a gear change is needed along with clutch practice!

^^^^^, what gearing are you running?

its stock front and 50 rear. 48 is stock. is it possible that setting up my suspension sag could help keep my front end down?

I have an 04' also, and I added a 6 oz. heavier than stock flywheel. The 6 oz. helps, but heavier would be better. I recommend going with a Pirelli MT-16 tire on the rear. This things like a tractor with it on, and I also recommend a Dr. D exhaust. ....the exhaust helps the low end.

That is tall on an '05 and later model. The primary reduction ratio was changed in '05 to a higher ratio. The difference is almost exactly 3 teeth at the rear, or one in the front. So, while 14/48 is stock gearing on an '03/'04, it's 3 teeth taller than stock on an '05, and 4 taller than stock on an '06-'08.

But then, I used to run my '03 at 15/49 all the time (2 higher than stock).