Heavier Flywheel?

i have a 13oz flywheel weight on my 04 450 and it helped a lot over stock. unfortunately the singletrack i ride is extremely tight with hills that come out of nowhere with no run and go up to them. my bike is still a little too radical for these situatuins. does anyone use a 16oz flywheel weight? if so do you think its too much or is it worth it? thanks.

Sounds like a gear change is needed along with clutch practice!

Sounds like a gear change is needed along with clutch practice!

^^^^^, what gearing are you running?

its stock front and 50 rear. 48 is stock. is it possible that setting up my suspension sag could help keep my front end down?

I went to a 52, it helped in the tight area.

I have an 04' also, and I added a 6 oz. heavier than stock flywheel. The 6 oz. helps, but heavier would be better. I recommend going with a Pirelli MT-16 tire on the rear. This things like a tractor with it on, and I also recommend a Dr. D exhaust.....the exhaust helps the low end.

^^^^^, what gearing are you running?

14/48

14/48

That seems tall, IMO.

That is tall on an '05 and later model. The primary reduction ratio was changed in '05 to a higher ratio. The difference is almost exactly 3 teeth at the rear, or one in the front. So, while 14/48 is stock gearing on an '03/'04, it's 3 teeth taller than stock on an '05, and 4 taller than stock on an '06-'08.

But then, I used to run my '03 at 15/49 all the time (2 higher than stock).

That seems tall, IMO.

Strictly desert riding!

Strictly desert riding!

10-4 :thumbsup: