What can I do to my stock xr600?

Pipe schmipe. Dial in the suspension and learn to ride it. That will make you faster than any loud pipe that pisses people off. 3 hp from a pipe and jet, maybe. Picking up a couple minutes over a 6 mile run might be feasible with the right suspension.

Pipe schmipe. Dial in the suspension and learn to ride it. That will make you faster than any loud pipe that pisses people off. 3 hp from a pipe and jet, maybe. Picking up a couple minutes over a 6 mile run might be feasible with the right suspension.

The big gain from jetting is just getting it to run right. The way the bike comes from Honda it is way too lean. A 68 pilot does wonders for starting with my single carb XR. My bike is usually a one or two kick starter. I can usually start it faster than some can with electric starters.

Do some searches here for jetting suggestions. Those dual carb XR's can be hard to get jetted right. You might need to experiment some. It's the main reason that Honda went back to a single carb setup even though they lost about 10% of the max HP.

Do the obvious stuff first:

adjust valves.

change oil and filter.

clean air filter - avoid K&N like the plague.

adjust and lube the chain and all the cables and suspension pivots.

run appropriate tire pressure for your terrain.

check/adjust spokes.

Now ride the bike.

Does the suspension feel right?

choose the appropriate springs for your weight.

adjust suspension sag.

change fluid in forks and shock (it's probably original -pretty stinky fish oil after 20 years in there).

Ride the bike some more and get used to pushing your own limits with well adjusted suspension.

Now uncork (if not already done). If you want more oomph, now is the time to do it, after you've dialed in the suspension and you know how well it runs stock.

I am learning pretty well, after owning a cr80, then switching to an xr250, then to this, is a big difference. I think I like my xr250 a little better, it was light and I owned it for a year and never crashed it. I crashed 3 times yesterday due to mud and a stick under a tree limb, and a near horrible crash going 45mph around a corner with ice. My brother hit the ice first and his tail slid out a couple inches and I hit it with my front tire and and it was almost going to slide out. Pretty scary. Anyway. I got my bike to go 75mph. I let off because I didn't want to kill my self.

Anyway. I am having a problem...if it is a problem. When I lay my bike over and it floods. I can't seem to get it started. It takes me forever. What do you recommend doing to get it started after it floods? Thanks

Anyway. I am having a problem...if it is a problem. When I lay my bike over and it floods. I can't seem to get it started. It takes me forever. What do you recommend doing to get it started after it floods? Thanks

Welcome to the world of big XRs.

They can be a PITA to restart after a crash. I use the Enviromentally Friendly way to restart:

1) Turn gas off.

2) Lay bike over on its right side (yours many be different as its a twin-carb but I remember my XR350 was a right-tilter) and let the gas in the float bowls go back into the soil.

3) With the gas off kick it a few times with full throttle and the kill switch depressed.

4) Turn gas on and wait a few seconds.

5) Kick it like your neighbor's dog that barks all night.

It should fire right back up.

-or-

Remember to always crash on the top of a hill and roll start it using the manual decompressor lever.

"O"

Yeah, my bro crashed to and tried to restart his going down hill (96 xr600, bought from original owner, with title, new exhaust, new foot pegs, and handle bars for $1500....screaming deal, bought within an hour of posting) and he couldn't get it to restart, but he had to kick it.

Anyway, mine fell over to the right. And, I tried kicking it a couple of times trying to get it to start and it kind of did. But, it kept on dieing. I full throttled it and a little while later it started.

So. Do I have dual carbs? What's the benefit? It sounds like it would be a pain to adjust both of them. I also am getting some cutting out. When I floor it it will go fast, then when I let off it kind of I guess stumbles maybe. Also, sometimes it will not even go, and stumble if I floor it (could be cold)

Anyway. Most of the time I can start this bike with one kick. I love these bikes!!!

Anyway, mine fell over to the right. And, I tried kicking it a couple of times trying to get it to start and it kind of did. But, it kept on dieing. I full throttled it and a little while later it started.

It doesn't really matter which side the bike falls over on if the gas is on. Tipping the bike over with the gas off cleans the gas out of the carb but it is likely that the engine is flooded too.

So. Do I have dual carbs? What's the benefit?

Nope. You have a single carb. I could swear 1987's had a dual carb setup.

"O"

The best way to make it faster is to take off the gas cap and roll a 650R underneath.

I'm on my second 600, and love them. If you're on a budget, accept that it's never going to have the power or the chassis the 650 has, and ride the piss out of it.

If you've got $500 to invest, the best bang for the buck is likely in suspension.