sprocket bolts?

which sprocket bolts should I use with an Ironman rear sprocket? I remember grayracer saying some stuff about the countersink and screw head having to match...but all I can seem to find are MSR sprocket bolts...will those work fine, without having my sprocket coming loose and grenading everything? thanks!

Good: OEM or MSR

Better: These Stainless Grade 10 Bolts (halfway down the page)

I don't believe there's anything unusual about the countersink in an Ironman sprocket. However, don't run the Ironman with your chain set too tight. Be sure you do it as the manual says, no matter how loose it looks.

thanks!:thumbsup: I might end up getting the MSR..cuz It looks like Im going to order my sprockets through monkeybuttparts.com and they have the msr...

I was looking at qualitysmart.com but it says that a 50 tooth rear is on back order.

edit. on monkeybutts website..they say the MSR are "10.9 tensile strength" and that the stock are 8.8...

whats that exactly mean?

That's the bolt grade. Metric 8.8 is roughly equivalent to US Grade 5 (120,000 psi min. tensile strength. Metric 10.9 equates to US Grade 8 (150,000 psi min. tensile strength).

Since these bolts are not loaded in tension directly, tensile strength is not as great a factor as the bolts resistance to shear. Even that is overall less important than the strength of the mounting lugs on the hub. As long as they stay tight, the OEM bolts will not be what breaks first.

The extra strength is nice, of course, as long as you don't have to pay too much for it.

I see...

then Ill probably just go with MSR, just to save on the shipping...and keep em tight!

Do you guys change your sprocket bolts every time you change your sprocket?

I don't, but I don't change sprockets very frequently, either.

Do you guys change your sprocket bolts every time you change your sprocket?

I just changed mine because my bike is 100 years old and I felt like I should replace them. I normally just reuse them and add a drop of red loc-tite to each bolt as I install them.

I see...

then Ill probably just go with MSR, just to save on the shipping...and keep em tight!

I bought a set of Tusk (Rocky Mountain brand) sprocket bolts and nuts. They are cheap and work just as good as OEM. :thumbsup: