Coming from a YZ250F to a YZ450F for trails

I'm exploring my next bike options. The YZ450 has always been on the short list for my next ride (the 300XC-WE is too but that's another story...).

I'm riding a 2006 YZ250F right now, pretty much bone stock except for lower gearing, etc. I ride 100% trails, but its usually gnarly technical to wide open fast with big climbs where the 250f can be completely tapped out. Yea, I'd like some more power, enough that I don't need to have the bike opened out on big climbs or where I can be a lazy 4 stroke rider and not use the clutch so much. ? I love my bike otherwise.

The '08 looks like a nice bike, albeit with that funky can. I love the idea of a quiet bike, but do you think I'll notice how plugged up it seems to be, coming from a 250f?

When I purchased my 08 YZ450 I was a little concerned about what I had read about the bottom end power.I ride 50% motocross and 50% trails. I did not notice any lack of power or plugged up feel on trails but I could feel it on a motocross track on the bottom end probably because I was use to a 06 YZ450. To be honest the 08 has good power it just needs a little help on the bottom. A gearing change 1 or 2 teeth on the rear will help as will a pipe. I feel you would like the 08 it is a great machine. Good luck.

Gear it down, add an 8-12 oz flywheel, soften the suspenders and go. You won't have any trouble moving up and will love the extra power. Comming from a 250f, you won't notice any plugged up feel.

I have had my 06 YZ450 for a few weeks and it's set up for MX. I have taken it on tight single track and gearing is the first issue I noticed.

Does the flywheel, softer suspension, gearing, and other woods mods make it good on the really technical stuff, or just acceptable.

A 250F would seem to have a real advantage in the tight stuff. My pure woods weapons have been YZ 2 strokes, but it would be fun to get the 450 to work as well in the woods.

Regarding the thread topic, would the 450 truly be a better choice, or a compomise in the tight stuff, only to have the ability to rip on the faster terrain?

KH

I just came off an 06 yz450f, and went to an 08 yz250f. I ride mostly trails, both mtn, and desert (I live in Durango, CO), race Hare Scrambles and dabble on the track. I'm 5'-11", and 165lbs. I'll tell you, in my opinion, the 250 is a way easier bike to ride in most trail conditions, including sand. Just easier to finesse the bike, rather than having to muscle it. You can't lug a 250 out of corners the way you can a 450, but it's only remembering to downshift before entering a turn.

We typically ride 2-3 30+ mile loops during a session, and at the end of the day, I'm not nearly as tired on the 250. After riding the 450 for that long, I'd swear my arms were 3 inches longer from trying to hold on, and I'd be completely fried. Just a lot of bike to handle for long periods. I also felt like I never really rode the 450 to its potential. Most of the time it was 2nd or 3rd gear, and half trottle.

The only other shortcoming I've seen on the 250 is the lack of top end on the long, high speed straights. But, that makes up so little of what we ride, it's not really a concern. I'm also kinda glad, because I don't really need to do 80mph down a sand wash and wad it up.

Either way, they are both fun bikes to ride, and have their advantages. Good luck!

I keep hearing that but damn, where I live, everyone I talk to who are using 450's say they wouldn't use anything else. Watching these guys lug those bikes up climbs, whereas I'm revving my little bike to hell and back just to get near the top, is convincing enough. Plus, these guys who are no bigger/stronger than me can easily go out and ride gnarly trails for 4-5 hours without any more work as what I'm doing. I think it depends on where you live and your conditioning.

I also had a brief ride on my friend's '07 450XC and that was so easy to ride.

VERY tough imo to beat a well set up 250f in the woods....my buddy has a small h.s. loop set up which includes most elements as well as a small moto track...we took lap times I switched back and forth and was CONSISTENTLY at least 30!!sec. faster...after 2 laps with under 4minute per lap times!!

dirty, i used to have a RMz 250, i got tired of reaving the crap out at every hill climb, and having to get a hell of a run to make it up hitting it in third and gearing down to first. as you Know the tight trails in our area we start out at a hill climb with no run available.this being the first year on my 450. it was awesome. start out at the bottom in first and gear up to third by the time we are at the top with no run. So many Guys here in Fruitloops are riding 450's for that reason. join the club. for 20 more lbs of bike you gain 20 more horse power.it's a handful that puts a smile on your face every time you ride.

dirty, i used to have a RMz 250, i got tired of reaving the crap out at every hill climb, and having to get a hell of a run to make it up hitting it in third and gearing down to first. as you Know the tight trails in our area we start out at a hill climb with no run available.this being the first year on my 450. it was awesome. start out at the bottom in first and gear up to third by the time we are at the top with no run. So many Guys here in Fruitloops are riding 450's for that reason. join the club. for 20 more lbs of bike you gain 20 more horse power.it's a handful that puts a smile on your face every time you ride.

There ya go^

I can hold third gear on most climbs that I've done on my 250F, like the one at BHV by the creek, or the one by the parking lot at batch. Pretty much need a great run at it with the bike almost maxed out. I don't really like doing that to my engine too much.

the fact is a 250 is lighter and a 450 is heavier; powerband vs. raw power &powerband 24/7. After you get used to a 450, I cannot go back to a 250 (6'2" 240lbs). No mixing of gas, just raw power! My friends took their quads out and I had my bike - my friends were jeolous of the speed and quickness of the YZ450f... after a camping and triail riding through trees, I was so tremendously happy with my decision of buying a 450 rather than the 250. Buy the '07 YZ450f vs the 08. I felt the 08 and seems a little slower in the lower end, 07 is definitely quicker !!!! YZ450f !!!?