HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rangerman

Uncorking?

9 posts in this topic

im quessing your talking about your 87 XR600R? I dont no the older XR's, but there are 3 basics

1. More Airflow, either a aftermarket filter or opening up the airbox

2. Re-jetting the carb, new main, pilot, and needle

3. opening up the exhuast to get more flow out of that, get ridda the baffel or go with a aftermarket tip/slip-on.

Basically all bikes are corked up from the factory, some more than others, you will definatly see a large increase in power if you jet right, but gas mileage will suffer.

Yes, I am talking about my 87 xr600. If I got rid of my baffle wouldn't that mean I couldn't ride in the woods? What does opening the airbox consist of?

"Uncorking" refers to modifications to the airbox to improve airflow into the engine and opening up the muffler. Under the seat on top of the airbox, the factory installs a restrictor in the air intake hole, remove it. On an '87 bike, I would think that this has already been done. Also, tossing the stock filter and installing a UNI or Twin Air filter will help airflow. Lastly, remove the baffle from the muffler. You will need to rejet slightly richer after doing this.

Yes, I am talking about my 87 xr600. If I got rid of my baffle wouldn't that mean I couldn't ride in the woods? What does opening the airbox consist of?

Your gona have to talk to a guy with a 600R, I know the 650R airbox can be uncorked just buy pulling out a rubber booty...but i dont think the older XR's have this.

Uncorking kinda means breathing better. From the intake, through the motor and exhaust , you increase your air/mix which equates to more power. As you would breathe more air, you need to process the mix, and breathe out the exhaust. Air box mod, piston valves carb, good exhaust= uncork. Not for sure with your bike, but that is the main goal.

For a 2007 XR650L, is there a rubber doohickey to remove in the airbox, or are there gains to be made by just replacing the air filter? Other nimrod question, I'm at about 800' above sea level, in Wisconsin, is there a mixture screw to richen it up, or will the jets need to be changed? I'm thinking slip on exhaust , mixture or jets, and whatever most do to the airbox. In my first 80 miles, seems doggy, lots of popping on deceleration, but still a complete blast to ride:applause: Makes me feel like 20 years ago when I had a XR600L in college. Minus the three kids, mortgage, missing hair, ........

For a 2007 XR650L, is there a rubber doohickey to remove in the airbox, or are there gains to be made by just replacing the air filter? Other nimrod question, I'm at about 800' above sea level, in Wisconsin, is there a mixture screw to richen it up, or will the jets need to be changed? I'm thinking slip on exhaust , mixture or jets, and whatever most do to the airbox. In my first 80 miles, seems doggy, lots of popping on deceleration, but still a complete blast to ride:applause: Makes me feel like 20 years ago when I had a XR600L in college. Minus the three kids, mortgage, missing hair, ........

For the 07 there are 2 rivets that need to be drilled on the top of the airbox , I would think that any upgrade ie , filter , slip on , you would need to rejet . The bikes come very lean for the factory. The popping is caused by the smog pump on the ( I think ) left side of the motor ( the thing with all the tubes coming out . My bike I have de-smoged did the air box mod and re-jetted using a 55 158 ,but I am still running the stock exhaust . I hope this helps