Triple Clamps-Help me decide.

I think I have read every post on clamps. I want to get a set for my 07 YZ450F but I dont know what to get. I am know where near a track so I can't test drive. I can tell you I put the applied racing clamps on my 06YZ250 and loved the difference. Everyone I ride with on private tracks rides red and are racers. Their opion does not matter to me.

Here it is. I don't want opinions on what you think I should buy. I want to know what you bought. (please).

Hi...If you can get your hands on Motocross Action Magazine's Sept. 2007 Issue, page 100 contains an article "How to Make Your YZ450F Turn". They test every clamp made from 15mm to 24mm. They even use the Rekluse Offset Axle to test the clamps unavailable (23, 21, 19, and 18). There is no "real fix" for the steering problem on this bike yet. You mostly will move the problem around with an offset clamp. However, if you absolutely cannot live with the "push" or "washout" associated with the Yamaha Chassis, then the 17mm Offset is for you. This set will eliminate the "push" and instill confidence and security during turning because it allows the bike's front tire to be better planted. Hope this helps out. Really recommend the article.

I also recommend Zinio. It will allow you to buy the magazine and read it right away by downloading it into your computer.

Here is the link for a 1 year subscription.

http://www.zinio.com/offer?issn=Motor123&of=ZHNew&bd=1

Here is the link for the Sept. Issue

http://www.zinio.com/issue?is=219482261&ns=zno

Hi...If you can get your hands on Motocross Action Magazine's Sept. 2007 Issue, page 100 contains an article "How to Make Your YZ450F Turn". They test every clamp made from 15mm to 24mm. They even use the Rekluse Offset Axle to test the clamps unavailable (23, 21, 19, and 18). There is no "real fix" for the steering problem on this bike yet. You mostly will move the problem around with an offset clamp. However, if you absolutely cannot live with the "push" or "washout" associated with the Yamaha Chassis, then the 17mm Offset is for you. This set will eliminate the "push" and instill confidence and security during turning because it allows the bike's front tire to be better planted. Hope this helps out. Really recommend the article.

Do you own a set of offset clamps? The MXA article is written from a perspective of one determined beforehand not to find a solution, IMO.

I just bought an 08 YZ450F. Presently Riding a YZ250 2 stroke. Previous Yamaha's (2 strokes) I have owned have not needed offsets (my opinion).

However, you have indicated that you have the exact same problem MXA describes as being inherent with the YZ450F. Their input on this subject is based on the fact that they receive more emails on this subject than any other tech questions.

I definitely don't know everything but here is what I stand by...Having had subscriptions to every mag available and usually buying at least one new bike every year. I have personally found that MXA tells the relative truth (I'm sure I'll take a hit for that statement from many) but it is what I have found out. Bikes, helmets, boots, suspension mods, engine mods, etc. they have always worked for me the way the guys at MXA said they would. I usually buy the bike they say is best...the helmet they say is best...etc. etc. etc. This is not based on an inability to think and make decisions on my own, but on the experience of never being let down by them on their advice. They are the only magazine not afraid to run the manufacturer down for bad engineering and bad products.

They suggest we try using the rekluse offset axle (this allows you to try different offsets without investing in multiple triple clamps). You could determine for yourself what your looking for this way. Many factors could affect which offset you like ie your skill level, terrain, type of riding and the like. Good luck and stay safe.

I also recommend Zinio. It will allow you to buy the magazine and read it right away by downloading it into your computer.

Here is the link for a 1 year subscription.

http://www.zinio.com/offer?issn=Motor123&of=ZHNew&bd=1

Here is the link for the Sept. Issue

http://www.zinio.com/issue?is=219482261&ns=zno

I find it odd that one would have to drop all the way to a 17mm offset to eliminate the push, when Yamaha for '08 effectively moved to a 24mm offset and now the bike handles great (i.e. no push), with seemingly no other significant geo changes. Also, at 17mm, the front end of the bike would be very high, I'm guessing even if you raised the forks up as high as they would go in the triple clamps you would still be much higher up front than the stock height. If you were to get the front of the bike down by doing this, you would not be able to adjust your compression. I ran into this problem on my '06 KX250F - went from 24mm to 20mm offset, but had to raise the forks way up to lower the front end down back to stock height, as measured from flat ground up to the bottom of the head tube. In doing so, I could no longer get a screwdriver on the compression nor air relief screws.

This is all a function of the head angle, so if the YZ's are steeper than the KX maybe it's not an issue, but 25mm to 17mm just sounds way too much.

I find it odd that one would have to drop all the way to a 17mm offset to eliminate the push, when Yamaha for '08 effectively moved to a 24mm offset and now the bike handles great (i.e. no push), with seemingly no other significant geo changes. Also, at 17mm, the front end of the bike would be very high, I'm guessing even if you raised the forks up as high as they would go in the triple clamps you would still be much higher up front than the stock height. If you were to get the front of the bike down by doing this, you would not be able to adjust your compression. I ran into this problem on my '06 KX250F - went from 24mm to 20mm offset, but had to raise the forks way up to lower the front end down back to stock height, as measured from flat ground up to the bottom of the head tube. In doing so, I could no longer get a screwdriver on the compression nor air relief screws.

This is all a function of the head angle, so if the YZ's are steeper than the KX maybe it's not an issue, but 25mm to 17mm just sounds way too much.

the 17mm is from zip ty racing....which is mostly a woods racing specific company. if you race moto, it would be extreme

ok, so im wondering why you bought an 08 yamaha. their reliable, but far from "the best bike"

no bike is "far from the best" actually, ecspecially the Yamaha. all modern 4 strokes are good enough to win on, its all rider nowadays. if anyting the Yamaha comes in third place maybe behind honda and kaw, only if its the rider pref. :ride:?

I just bought an 08 YZ450F. Presently Riding a YZ250 2 stroke. Previous Yamaha's (2 strokes) I have owned have not needed offsets (my opinion).

However, you have indicated that you have the exact same problem MXA describes as being inherent with the YZ450F. Their input on this subject is based on the fact that they receive more emails on this subject than any other tech questions.

I definitely don't know everything but here is what I stand by...Having had subscriptions to every mag available and usually buying at least one new bike every year. I have personally found that MXA tells the relative truth ....

The OP asked for opinions of people who actually have an '06-'07 with a set of clamps, not recommendations based on anything else, so your reading of MXA's opinion doesn't qualify.

I have never said that I have a problem with the way my '06 handles. I have said that it pushes more than I like, but I don't have a problem with it. If I scoot forward and get on the gas, it doesn't push. Overall, I have alway found it a pretty neutral handling bike with which I can do pretty much whatever I want. When I get some spare change, I'll probably go with 24's to update it.

I used to put more stock in what MXA said, and to an extent, they're still more accurate than most. But their fixation with the YZ450's steering problems has been somewhat inconsistent if you follow it from the bike's introduction, and the test they did with clamp offset is not very useful, IMO. For one thing the results are somewhat at odds with other testing done, including true blind testing, and testing done by one of the country's best test riders, both of which indicated that the 24mm offset is the right choice. Overall, the MXA test appears more than anything to have been a reflection of a preconceived conclusion. Interestingly, the steering geometry produced by this setup is what the '08 comes with, which they rave about as a major improvement, but still don't like.

Your credibility is weak enough in that your opinion is based only on what you read in a magazine, whose recommendations as to the best product in any given category you claim to follow. You then undermine that by having purchased a bike that they panned, passing up the CRF450 which has been their favorite every year for the past 6. I'm probably not the only one who sees the lack of continuity there.

According to MXA, Chad Reed's 06 had 22.5 mm offsets on it. I'm trying to decide if I want to get a set of them, those are what Pro Taper has so I can get them for a good price...

ok so if Chad uses these they must be right for you? :ride:

Make sure you can return the protapers if they do not suit you.......

My advice again for the 30th time is ride someones elses bike with different offset before just deciding out of the blue which offset you need....you may hate the way your bike turns afterwards....?

I was already leaning towards the 24's. Now after reading what Grayracer said he would get I am convinced. There is snow on the ground here now but when it melts I will have a set of 24s.

Thank you for your opinion.

What about an E-Axle to obtain the same results? Grayracer?

ok so if Chad uses these they must be right for you? ? :

Nope, I never said that anywhere in my post, I was just pointing out what he used for his 06. :busted:

but I would be interested in a review of anyone who has tried them, or any of the other offsets...

Make sure you can return the protapers if they do not suit you.......

My advice again for the 30th time is ride someones elses bike with different offset before just deciding out of the blue which offset you need....you may hate the way your bike turns afterwards....?

I haven't decided IF I will even get a set, I'm not totally convinced it is needed. All Pro Taper has is the 22.5's, and since I am sponsored by them and could get them for a good price they are about the only set I would really consider buying.. I don't think there is a big enough problem to justify spending upwards of 500 dollars on a set for a different offset from someone else..

thanks for your input.. :ride:

I was already leaning towards the 24's.

What about an E-Axle to obtain the same results?

If you liked the 24's on your '06, they'll work for you on your '07.

I haven't messed with an E-Axle. Some have expressed concern about using it long term. Others say they see no reason why you should not. It would yield exactly the same results as the clamps, within the +/- 2mm range of the axle.