00 yz 426

i just sold my cr last week and i am looking at buying a 426. and i was looking at the 2000 year how is the bike all around? also how much are we talkin on top end and valves wen bike needs it? i also do take very wel care of my stuff like change oil grease everything up and can check valves if i need to. im coming off a 250 so im hoping for some more power

I've owned a 426 for several years and it has been a great machine. I dont race it, but I do ride at Lake Elsinore and out in the desert. Bike does well in both spots. My valve job ran me about 400 bucks if I remember correctly. My bike still has the old decom lever but most guys run a 450 ex cam--that's a very sweet mod IMO. I got after coming off a cr125, weight/power took some getting used to for sure. I'd say get one...you'll love it.

If i could describe the 426 in one word, it would be awesome. I would reccomend the 01 though just because of the fact that the 00 had a clutch issue with a significant number of bikes. They had problems with the clutch baskets blowing up. But the 01 and 02s are awesome. I have an 01 and I dont think that I would ever get another bike unless it was a new yami 450. They have crazy ammounts of torque that will pull roll on wheelies in every gear. They are very dependable as well. As long as you change the oil every other ride and an oil filter every 3 or 4 changes they will last. Valves on these bike rarely need to be adjusted and almost never will wear out. My valves have only been adjusted once. Pistons and top ends are around $4-500 and these bikes are pretty much bullet proof so you might not even have to do that for a long time. Sorry for the long post, but just thought Id let you know plenty about them.

Same here i have an 01 and had if for a year prob done about 60-80 hours on it and never had a problem.I change the oil every 5 hours and filters.The only things i have done is wheel bearings,chain and sprockets, break pads,tyres.

I love the yzf its been a great machine so far and long may it continue.

I had a 00 426 it was a good bike. After, I did the 450 cam mod it was a great bike!

Third gear went out and I had the top end and valves ground. The cam mod mad a huge difference in how I rode the bike, I actually think some of the gear issues were due to the lack of auto decompression.

The clutch did chatter, which was not to fun on tight trails, but I ride mostly at the track so that was not a huge deal for me.

I remember coming over a double and stalled the bike, that thing headed to the ground like a freaking missle, completly different story after the new cam.

Sold the bike 1 1/2 years ago to get a 450.

I got my '00 426 a few months ago and I love it. Tons of power, decent suspension, and easy to start once you learn the drill.

My only complaint has to do with the lack of auto-decomp. I ride at the track almost exclusively and only rarely go on tight trails. I had a major problem with stalling it due to too much rear brake going in to corners. The bike has so much compression, that simply pulling in the clutch and bump starting it only works about 1 out of 10 times.

I have learned to feather the clutch now and the problem is a lot less frequent. The clutch is a bit grabby, but you can get used to it although if you are going to ride a lot on tight trails, you will probably want to do '01 clutch upgrade.

I actually think some of the gear issues were due to the lack of auto decompression.

I'd really like to hear that one.

The clutch chatter/grab issue is correctable with a few cheap parts from an '01. The '00 used a key rather than splines to hold the balancer gear in place on the crank, and these were slightly prone to loosen. With that in mind, it's wise to investigate unusual knocking noises coming from the right side of the engine while they can still be fixed with less than $10 of materials.

OTOH, the '00 had stainless valves, which are even more durable than the OEM Yamaha titanium valves used in later models, and far less expensive to replace.

Well, I am a recent convert to my 2000 YZ426 from my 1998 YZ250. The YZ250 was my first ever dirt bike and I had to learn the hard way. The guys I ride with were all super experienced and I had none! The learning curve was steep, but withthe 250, yes it was much easier to do tight trails (which is all we ride really, except the occasional sand dune run). However, this last weekend, i would not have traded my 426 away for any 2-stroke, it got me out of some hairy stuff that my 250 would have been spinnin and slippin through. Key Note HERE: i am 6'5" 200 lbs, big diff from the average smaller rider ;-)

426, the best machine for me until i improve my skills further and land myself a new bike (post 450 4-stroke era!!)

have an 00 426 and love it evrywhere from the dunes to the woods it is a great bike. it is reliable i ride every weekend and after work two to three times a week. i have my own track plus i have a friend down the road with one and the local track up the road.the tracks are all differnt and the 426 does a great job on each.on the trails it leaves everyone else behind. great bike in my opinion all around.

The clutch chatter/grab issue is correctable with a few cheap parts from an '01. The '00 used a key rather than splines to hold the balancer gear in place on the crank, and these were slightly prone to loosen. With that in mind, it's wise to investigate unusual knocking noises coming from the right side of the engine while they can still be fixed with less than $10 of materials.

OTOH, the '00 had stainless valves, which are even more durable than the OEM Yamaha titanium valves used in later models, and far less expensive to replace.

I put a Rekluse in my 00 YZ 426, that took care of the chatter. I have had the bike for 2 1/2 yrs and race Harescrambles often. I have never had to adjust the valves and I check them often.

I did have to replace the key but it only took about 45 min to do.

Everyone talks about high maintanance cost, but mine is minimal. Maybe I just got a great bike:ride:

I'd really like to hear that one.

I am probably off base here, but doesn't the transmission take a hit when the bike stalls and locks up due the the lack of decompression? I was riding on some hills with large boulders and stall the bike a few times and that is when third gear was trashed. Or it could be that 3rd gear got the most use on the mx track and simply wore out.?

I am not a mechanic or an engineer, but it would seem that some of the force from the engine locking up and the energy from the rear tire may cause more stress on the gears. A friend of mine, who is a mechanic said the gears in the 2000 were not as strong as the gears in the newer bikes.

The shock of a sudden stall certainly isn't helpful, but it's far from the worst thing that happens to a gearbox. The shock that happens in braking bumps, running hard through whoops, or landing a jump under power is far worse.

But either way, an engine with auto decompression stalls exactly as a manual decomp engine does. AD systems are ineffective at speeds higher than about 4-500 RPM, so if the engine is running the auto decomp won't work.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my 2001 426 for several years with very good service except the clutch basket. At high rev's the clutch fingers expanded shaving off metal from the cases getting it into the oil and scoring the cylinder wall.

I replaced the basket with a Hinson unit and new clutch and new top end.

Great bike I still have it!

• 2 weeks later...
I put a Rekluse in my 00 YZ 426, that took care of the chatter. I have had the bike for 2 1/2 yrs and race Harescrambles often. I have never had to adjust the valves and I check them often.

I did have to replace the key but it only took about 45 min to do.

Everyone talks about high maintanance cost, but mine is minimal. Maybe I just got a great bike:ride:

what is the key repair on the crank balancer and how hard is it. i may have this problem on my 00 426f.

from a lil different standpoint, i use my 00 426 for supermoto and it keeps up with the 450's. only have an exhaust and jetted it properly. NO BOG, pulls all the way and i simply love it.

just got my 01 clutch parts in though to do the upgrade...that grabby 00 clutch is a killer on the pavement. not too bad in the dirt though.