HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kx06

Shifting without the clutch??

5 posts in this topic

I have an 08 450f and am wondering if it is bad for the transmission to shift/downshift without using the clutch? I have heard mixed things on this topic and would like to here your opinions.

i do about 50/50 clutching and non.. it all depends on what the conditions is.. most of the time i try to use the clutch tho.

Everything that I've read, seems to recommend using the clutch while upshifting...since you are accelerating and putting a load on the drivetrain, while not using the clutch on downshifting seems to be fine. I believe Gary Semics of the MX forum recommends only using the clutch while upshifting.

I personally don`t use clutch when upshifting, but I do use it while braking into hair pin turns, so that I won`t shut of the engine. You must know how to upshift without clutch. I blip my throttle back for a moment to upshift and it goes in like through butter.

It won't hurt a thing to up shift or down shift without the clutch. Just let off the throttle a wee bit and shift it. You can feel when the tranny unloads enough to shift.