questions about 04 450f

I bought A 04 yz450 recently (i know not the best choice for trail, but was a good deal) anyways I have a few questions. I'd like to be able to ride slower so I can hit up some tighter trails things I think that would help would be

1) flywheel, and Larger rear sprocket. What size weight for flywheel? And recommendation of a few brands.

2) would I lose too much on the top end if I went with say a 51 tooth sprocket with the weighted flywheel?

main Issue I have is the bike runs good around 1/4 throttle and above in first and second,can't get smooth throttle in first and second below say 1/4 throttle.:ride: but its like a new bike in third and forth throttle is nice and smooth( can roll on the gas, where as in first and second its like no response until 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.) Is this a jetting issue?:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for any and all responses

I bought A 04 yz450 recently (i know not the best choice for trail, but was a good deal) anyways I have a few questions. I'd like to be able to ride slower so I can hit up some tighter trails things I think that would help would be

1) flywheel, and Larger rear sprocket. What size weight for flywheel? And recommendation of a few brands.

2) would I lose too much on the top end if I went with say a 51 tooth sprocket with the weighted flywheel?

main Issue I have is the bike runs good around 1/4 throttle and above in first and second,can't get smooth throttle in first and second below say 1/4 throttle.:ride: but its like a new bike in third and forth throttle is nice and smooth( can roll on the gas, where as in first and second its like no response until 1/8 to 1/4 throttle.) Is this a jetting issue?:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for any and all responses

yes a flywheel weight will help you 8 oz and up ZipTy Racing/Stealthy/DRD make these

51 may be too large - depends on terrain - a 50 may be better but depends how much shifting you want to do -

I only use the longest lasting sprockets known....IronMan Stainless Steel

These have a bog at beginning of throttle - ZipTy Racing Carb mod fixes this permanently

I had an '04 and had the same issues. I put a larger rear sprocket on and it helps, BUT it still delivers a ton of torque to that 1st gear and I found myself not being able to control it very much in the tight rocky uphills. I wish I would have put on a flywheel weight. :thumbsup: That is a must. I hope it works out, but with only 4 gears on a MX transmission, theres only so much you can do for trails....

forget about fly weights and get a rekluse clutch i have an 04 and race hare scrambles the rekluse lets me ride the bike a gear high where the power is more mellow and the best part is the bike will not stall.

forget about fly weights and get a rekluse clutch i have an 04 and race hare scrambles the rekluse lets me ride the bike a gear high where the power is more mellow and the best part is the bike will not stall.

i see this is an old post anyone useing this clutch have not heard of this have been out loop for a while just got a 2003 yz 450f and going to change the sprockets to 13-52 for better trail riding

Search the forum for "rekluse". Lots of more current info.