Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ourimba

Confused DRZ-400 rider needs help

9 posts in this topic

I bought a DRZ-400s a few months ago, and find I am spending most of my time riding on the track and trails with my son. I love the DRZ, but it's super heavy on the track and the suspension is very soft. I'm now starting the process of mods to make it a better dirt bike, but started thinking that perhaps I would be better off exchanging it for a true dirt bike and just dual-sport that for the occasional weekend ride to the store.

What has your experience been with the WR? I do want to be able to take my bike on the MX track from time to time and survive the doubles and whoops. But at 43 I'm not into aggressive riding as much as I used to be. Maybe I should keep the DRZ and get a YZF250, or would a WR450 be able to handle all the riding I want to do? What do you think?

Thanks folks,

Doug

I bought a DRZ-400s a few months ago, and find I am spending most of my time riding on the track and trails with my son. I love the DRZ, but it's super heavy on the track and the suspension is very soft. I'm now starting the process of mods to make it a better dirt bike, but started thinking that perhaps I would be better off exchanging it for a true dirt bike and just dual-sport that for the occasional weekend ride to the store.

What has your experience been with the WR? I do want to be able to take my bike on the MX track from time to time and survive the doubles and whoops. But at 43 I'm not into aggressive riding as much as I used to be. Maybe I should keep the DRZ and get a YZF250, or would a WR450 be able to handle all the riding I want to do? What do you think?

Thanks folks,

Doug

The ideal answer would be to have TWO bikes.

Ourimba, we share stories. I bought a new O6 DRZ S last year, spent $1,600 in mods and sold it this last spring as it is plain too heavy. Had plenty of power. I had not been on a bike in 15 years prior.

A painfully expensive mistake. I did my homework better this time (95 percent off road) and purchased a new 07 WR 450. I love this bike. It is the best all around enduro. I am 6 foot 200 pounds. Don't waste your time with a 250.

I am a husband, father of 3 young kids, and am a Plant Managerof one plant/Director of Operations - 2nd plant for my company. I loathe the thought of having 2 bikes. I barely have the time to maintain one bike. For me, I need one great bike. The 450 does it all for me. I am 40 and golf and off road riding are my personal past times. Two bikes for me is not practical. If I was younger perhaps, but still do not like thought of maintaining 2. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

Those DRZ's are nice bikes for sure. BUT, they really are pigs. If you ride on the road as much or even more than you would on the dirt, then I would MAYBE consider one. But, really I'd prefer a supermoto at that point with some hybrid tires.

The WR450 is such a nice bike for the dirt compared to the DRZ. That DRZ is just so darn heavy and outfitted that it can't compare...

Get the WR and don't look back!

Good luck!

Yes the Wr is the Master when it comes to Dirt. I have both- DRZSM 06' and a WR450 04'. The power and weight goes to the WR. It is only for the dirt so there is no emission compart to a DRZ S where they try to accomidate both (enduro)street and dirt. All the electrical and the lighting plus that big license plate housing. that alone is 3 pounds!

And in your State, you can legalize anything. But your motor will not last as long as that DRZ S or SM because the enduro series bikes are modified for this specific reason- Duriabilty.

I had the opportunity to ride 2 DRZ's in the weekend just past.

The first one had modified suspension and was very tall. The front suspension felt superior to the stock WR. It was compliant and reassuring. The backend didn't feel as good as the WR.

The second was a stocker. Still capable but not as confidence inspiring as the modified DRZ.

The motors were totally different to the WR. The WR has grin factor. It winds out like a 2 stroke whereas the DR's seem to have it all down low which is good for climbing hills and quick getaways.

The WR has a lower seat height and is easier to get on for those of us under 6ft.

The DR is a very capable bike for the price and has a good reputation for longevity with less maintenance. It has a nice soft seat which is just as well, cos you can't help but sit down all the time. They are not a standing bike unless you get very high risers.

The WR however also has proven longevity considering it's performance.

Sort out the suspension on a WR and you have a fantastic bike that will give many years of service.

WR for me :thumbsup:

I'd keep the DRZ and get a WR450. My story is kinda similar. I bought a mint XR400...love the bike. I also had issues with the soft XR suspension. Wanting more suspension, I bought a low hour WR400 that was for sale locally. The plan was to sell the XR400...Yeah right. I now ride the XR400 with the kids and tight single track woods. Works out great. I ride the WR with a buddy or mine and we ride more open trails. I figured why give a way a mint XR400 when I might want to slow down in a couple of years. By that time a low hour XR4 will be hard to find. Clear as mud right. I figured that the money was spent. Why lose more. Wife thinks I am silly..oh well. KJR

Not sure how hard it is to plate a bike in TX .... and as much as i love my WR .... have you looked on the Orange side?

YAMAHA just came out (or will be in January) with a WR250R dual sport and even an X model Supermoto. I ordered the X model and should be in my hands in January. Like nostalgic said, Get the X model and slide on some hybrid tires. A good back roads bike and a sweet cruiser around town. :thumbsup: