I want a big bore wr550! What about you guys?

Just finished the first desert trip this year and my old beat up 2000 wr did it just fine. My friend brought his wr450 2005 and it was really nice but his battery was dead so he always had to kick start it. I definately noticed that my 426 started quicker without the auto decompression than his 450. Anyway at the end of last season I started wishing for more wheel lifting torque. Currently I have a OEM 400 converted to a OEM 426 with all of the free mods, jetting exhaust power now etc etc. I still have my timing set to wr specs for a linear power curve. Every time Im out there I am always wishing for more cc's, and a lighter bike.Last year I started looking at the KTMs and the xr650 but I sure do like the reliability of my yamaha. So what about a 550 wr that is street legal? Husquavarna, ktm and honda have answered the call what about yamaha? Im a big guy and I would like some serious thumper torque. I hope yamaha reads these forums.

It would be nice, but its a long shot..... Overseas they make the xt660 (i think thats the name). Its like the husky and ktm equivalent. Only thing is that its severely underpowered and overweight. But I bet the torque is pretty good. As far as I'm concerned, its takes an awesome ( I dont want to throw the word PRO out there but...) rider to ride the new 450's to their full potential. I feel like my 426 is perfect in the performance dept. and I'm no slouch in the saddle. I cant see yamaha going in a different direction, they already have one of the most well balanced, versitile bikes out... But I can garauntee that a 50 state (and F.I.) version is on the brink.... look out!!!

A WR 550f (550cc actual displacemet, not like the fake 500+ euro big bores) would be bad ass

slap one of those 700 raptor engines down in your wr . they would most likely fill your torque needs

Now that would be a bike 700cc FI:ride: :ride: Come on Yamaha!! You already have the frame and the motor:banghead: :thumbsup: Even the old 660 raptor motor would have been perfect. It would really be sweet if they came street legal like the huskys.

Now that would be a bike 700cc FI:ride: :busted: Come on Yamaha!! You already have the frame and the motor:banghead: :thumbsup: Even the old 660 raptor motor would have been perfect. It would really be sweet if they came street legal like the huskys.

They have already put the 660 moto in a dirt bike (read: xt660 overseas) its a turd... But that motor in a wr chassis... that would be a whole different story!!!:ride: They could call it the blue widowmaker (p.s. I'd buy it)...

http://www.dirtrodders.com/atk700/

Granted you will have to go back to a 2 stroke, but I would bet that it is torque monster. Of course, you would have to man up and get it on the pipe and hold it there. :thumbsup:

Don't think I would be up for the challenge of taming this beast.

For what it worth!

wingnut16

Yeah, I checked out the atk when it first came out, man I would hate to start that thing. I ride a KX500 in the dunes and a big bore is really hard to start when it gets warm and without a decompression lever. So has anybody put a 660 in a wr or yz 400 frame?

RPM's has a 100mm(special order;regular is 99mm) ice cube jug that turns a 450 into a 500 without stroking and stroked its a 534! take my word for it the overbore with 13:1 is plenty. more torque everywhere and no top end loss,in fact it seems to have a even wider torque curve in both directions:thumbsup:

Xr700r ???? Ya Baby!!!

Xr700r ???? Ya Baby!!!

Too heavy...

The 550, that would be an awesome bike, but hopefully it could be done with only a weight differential of only a couple pounds to the 450. If you go to the DRZ forum and look at all the 475 big bores Eddie did with the DRZ 400's you would be amazed. You could ask him if a 550 is possible with the 450 (or what is the top size). Eddie will build one for you if you have cash. Would like to see the dyno on that.

The 550, that would be an awesome bike, but hopefully it could be done with only a weight differential of only a couple pounds to the 450. If you go to the DRZ forum and look at all the 475 big bores Eddie did with the DRZ 400's you would be amazed. You could ask him if a 550 is possible with the 450 (or what is the top size). Eddie will build one for you if you have cash. Would like to see the dyno on that.

534 is reasonable limitation of whats currently available for a bored and stroked 450. tried true and tested; available is also a key word. if KTM can call a 478 a 505 then we sure as heck can call a 534 a 550! who would be able to argue about 16cc as they were trying to put their arms back into the shoulder sockets:busted: