HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rangerman

How often do you change your oil?

58 posts in this topic

Just wondering. I only go riding about 5 times a year, so I usually change it once or twice...what about you guys?

Every 6 to 8 hundred miles. I know the Hondas and the TW will go farther but Rotella is cheap:thumbsup: and I'd rather be safe than sorry.:thumbsup:

Are your rides a 1000 miles a pop, if so you might want to change it a few more times. :thumbsup:

Are your rides a 1000 miles a pop, if so you might want to change it a few more times. :thumbsup:

Typical 200+ sometimes 600MI. Oil is cheap, and these air cooled bikes run HOT!!!!

Typical 200+ sometimes 600MI. Oil is cheap, and these air cooled bikes run HOT!!!!

Number one rule- follow the manufacture's schedule in your manual. :ride::thumbsup:

better yet, change oil and filter every 1k to 1.5 k miles. never have a prob. this way, lubrication wise!:thumbsup:

follow the 1500 mile LOF routine with cleaning the downtube screen and clean the screen in the right side case every 3-4 LOF's. be good to go.

also stay away from "energy conserving" oils as a thread here recently stated.

every 1000 miles, with filter and screen cleanings

I change oil every 1k, and filter every 2k.

What do you guys mean by screen cleanings? Where might I find these screens to clean ?

I change oil every 1k, and filter every 2k.

What do you guys mean by screen cleanings? Where might I find these screens to clean ?

On the very bottom of the frame downtube reservoir right under the drain you'll see a fitting. Loosen the fitting and you'll see the the screen. Mines always spotless but what can I say about yours.:thumbsup: IMHO I think its the most usefull during break in as the filter should catch everything long before it gets to the screen but I check it anyway.:ride:

On the very bottom of the frame downtube reservoir right under the drain you'll see a fitting. Loosen the fitting and you'll see the the screen. Mines always spotless but what can I say about yours. IMHO I think its the most usefull during break in as the filter should catch everything long before it gets to the screen but I check it anyway.

Many thanks sir. Will check the screen next oil change.

Number one rule- follow the manufacture's schedule in your manual. :ride::thumbsup:

Good advice if you are running a stock bike the way it was supposed to be ridden. I'm far away from stock, and ride like a jerk. I don't run synthetic in my dirt machines, because you don't really get the properties of synthetic oils unless you don't change your oil frequently:thumbsup:. I do use Synthetic grease for ALL my machines including my vehicles, and marine toys. I don't even use synthetic in my boat , as you have to change it yearly used or not!

Another argument is the fact most of us are using wet clutches. Go ride a track or tight woods on a hot dusty day and see what your oil looks like. Slipping that clutch contaminates the oil and starts to clog the screens and filter. I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Working in heavy industry I run across this problem frequently. Ingersoll requires you to use their lable oil to keep your warranty. At 6000$ an oil change I sent the oil to the lab. Guess what, I can get the same oil (different manufacturer) for 1500$ an oil change. Once the warrantys are over I wonder what OIL I will use??

I work in the automotive industry, and know first hand how it works. Service parts and work is the big three's most profitable game.