yz exhaust silencer: bump-in repair - HOW?

Fixing and renewing the bike in every aspect, also want to anodize the exhaust, but first, I'd like to straigten it.

Need advice on how to.

Maybe put it in a vice and drive few wedges through it?

how it looks.

20071116175139_P1010017-1.jpg

20071116175140_P1010018-1.jpg

20071116175141_P1010019-1.jpg

20071116175142_P1010020-1.jpg

your pictures did not work.

Take it apart and try the freezer trick. You might consider plugging one end in order to retain the water better while it freezes.

If that does not work put the can over a steel pipe and lightly tap around the dent with a hammer (easy it is aluminum). This process will leave a poor finish (like a sack of walnuts)

If that does not work let us know what did work

Good luck

Probably easier and cheaper to go out and buy the one you want:prof: You'll never get that straight.

Find the biggest wooden dowel that will fit in the can (about the same radius as the top of the can) and slide it in then use either a hard rubber mallet or a metal working hammer and slowly work out the damage. :thumbsup: You will have to go very slowly and gently or it will cause damage to the aluminum that cannot be worked out. Good luck. Post some photos when your done.

Are pics really not visible?

Tried sth similar, but with metal rod and its a no go.

Maybe cutting out the beat-in part, hammering it close to perfection and welding it back.

Will decide end week.

They are working now, I don't know what happened but it was probably a problem on my end.

Decided to cut, not so so bad, welding awaits

pic1

pic2

pic3

Do you want it to look brand new? If you do, I'd probably just toss that pipe and start looking on ebay.

Nice to see someone putting some effort into repairing their equipment instead of just buying a new one. :thumbsup::ride: Be sure and post your finished pics for us.

European ebay is very poor with yammi used parts, thus making those few quite pricey.

No problem, pics will follow.

Sth like that, before fine processing

pic1

European ebay is very poor with yammi used parts, thus making those few quite pricey.

Oh i see, well I am still interested on how it goes. (I might want to give it a try) :thumbsup:

Been a while since started repairs, but so much work to do on the bike.

Exhaust looking like this now.

20080316135550_DSC05392_resize.JPG

20080316135551_DSC05393_resize.JPG

Nice to see someone putting some effort into repairing their equipment instead of just buying a new one. :confused::excuseme: Be sure and post your finished pics for us.

What kind of statement is that?Maybe those people that just buy new equipment instead of taking the time to repair have a life full of obligations other than being in the garage

He's just glad seeing someone put some effort in renewing old stuff. Dont feel offended.

I'd like to keep it more technical and less intrusive if you please, thanks.

Thats some nice welding there 5valve, I'm a boilermaker so I know how much of a pain it is to weld thin aluminium thats not new anymore. well done