HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
black in RI

sator rewind question... how to solder??

5 posts in this topic

so I wrapped the stator with copper wire..

i now have to solder the wires to the wires preexisting that ran to the bike that i earlier had snipped/

How do i solder exactly?

Do i need a soldering iron?? oI'm assuming I can't use my acetylene torch

now when i solder the copper wire to the other copper , is it simply wire to wire with solder connecting them? or is ther some other 'attachment i use?? some wire crimp type deal?

so I wrapped the stator with copper wire..

i now have to solder the wires to the wires preexisting that ran to the bike that i earlier had snipped/

How do i solder exactly?

Do i need a soldering iron?? oI'm assuming I can't use my acetylene torch

now when i solder the copper wire to the other copper , is it simply wire to wire with solder connecting them? or is ther some other 'attachment i use?? some wire crimp type deal?

Yes, you need a soldering gun, or a sodering torch. You need to practice soldering for a while before starting. Soldering is done by heating the metals to the minimum temp needed to melt the solder, while applying heat to wires and solder at the same time. Not too much heat. Apply heat till solder melts well, and remove immediately. A good solder is shiny. A bad one (cold) is dull.

Here is what I have done:

You must strip off the lacquer insulation from the copper wire. Dont burn it off, you must scrape/grind it clean. A dremel is good for this. Attach the wires together with a very tight connection before soldering. EG: a very tight small open loop at the end of each wire, hook them together, and crimp shut, then solder. Use shinkwrap over the soldered joint.

Here is what I have done:

You must strip off the lacquer insulation from the copper wire. Dont burn it off, you must scrape/grind it clean. A dremel is good for this. Attach the wires together with a very tight connection before soldering. EG: a very tight small open loop at the end of each wire, hook them together, and crimp shut, then solder. Use shinkwrap over the soldered joint.

That's what I did too. :thumbsup: I ALWAYS use rosin-core solder with lead in it if I have the option. This RoHS business is making lead solder harder to get these days. :ride: