valves out of djustment running?

i have 2002 426.i think the valves are out. when i start it cold it stalls a lot and wont stay running. i have to restart it 3 time before it will stay running. also when cold it back fires, gives a loud pop. so is this the valves? or something eles??

If you've never checked the valves, it is probably time to check. They should be checked every 10-12 hours of riding. That is multiple times per season for most people. The popping when it is cold is most likely a jetting issue. The stalling is also very likely to be jetting related.

sounds lean to me back out the fuel screw/pilot a half turn or so and see,my bike was doing the same thing exactly like you said and i put a 42 main instead of the 40 and tinkered withe fuel screw and no more popping and it only takes a minute tops to be idleing on her own.

sounds lean to me back out the fuel screw/pilot a half turn or so and see,my bike was doing the same thing exactly like you said and i put a 42 main instead of the 40 and tinkered withe fuel screw and no more popping and it only takes a minute tops to be idleing on her own.

You are confused. There is no such thing as a 42 main and no such thing as a fuel screw/pilot.

i have 2002 426.i think the valves are out. when i start it cold it stalls a lot and wont stay running. i have to restart it 3 time before it will stay running. also when cold it back fires, gives a loud pop. so is this the valves? or something eles??

Since you are in MI and it has gotten cold, its a combination of lean jetting and just a cold bike. My bikes valves are in spec the jetting is a tad off and my bike will start run for 3 seconds and die for about 2 times, then after its a little warmer, it will stay running, but wont take throttle for about 10 seconds.

bboyce is experiencing the same thing I did last winter. The bike will need a little pilot screw adjustment for the winter or even a pilot jet increase maybe wouldn't hurt. I increased my pilot up one size and it helped a lot in the winter season. How does your bike run once warmed up? That's what really matters. In really cold weather (in VA that's about 20 degrees and below) I have heated my cylinder head with a hair dryer and it helps greatly on the starting and warm up. Don't jump to the worst things first... OH MY GOD IT'S THE VALVES!! but it could be checked.