HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ant_mb

My new ride! XR650L

16 posts in this topic

Hey guy,

I picked up my new bike a couple weeks ago. This site had been a huge help with deciding on the mods too do. So far I have done the Dave's mod, put a 14T gear up front, installed a Super Trapp, and put a Garmin GPS. Here are a couple pics of mine and a buddies.

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/ant_mb/?action=view&current=honda1-1827.jpg

http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee177/ant_mb/?action=view&current=DSCN2159.jpg

HA! What a HOOT! I bought one also. Seems Honda will have a jump in their DS sales for '07.

I drove it out and put about 30+ miles to clear out the packing grease in the motor. but at 5' 10" I am defiantly going to either lower this thing or shave the seat. Tip Toes; both feet make stop lights a bother. But I also live in a very rural area with dirt roads leading to my home. I rode that dike on the hard pack with gravel and it wanted to slip out from under real bad. It could be me but the stock tires don't seem to be so great (a whole lot better than the competition however). It's just a height thing with me though as all the other bikes I've had have never been this tall.

I keep thinking that since this is slap-smooth new that the seat and suspension should settle a wee bit. but I doubt that it will settle more than 1/2 inch.

Has anyone lowered the 650 with the Performance Designs link? I have checked out about 3 of them but the PD link seems to be a well researched unit.

Congrates. Don't expect that cicle to squat too much with time. I've got 4k on my 07 and I think it got taller. lol Maybe I'm shrinking.

you sound happy with your bike. congrats. if you can, do me one favor and

let me know if your oil smells like fuel (gasoline). i just bought the same new bike and the dealer told me this is normal. thanks

arris

HA! What a HOOT! I bought one also. Seems Honda will have a jump in their DS sales for '07.

I drove it out and put about 30+ miles to clear out the packing grease in the motor. but at 5' 10" I am defiantly going to either lower this thing or shave the seat. Tip Toes; both feet make stop lights a bother. But I also live in a very rural area with dirt roads leading to my home. I rode that dike on the hard pack with gravel and it wanted to slip out from under real bad. It could be me but the stock tires don't seem to be so great (a whole lot better than the competition however). It's just a height thing with me though as all the other bikes I've had have never been this tall.

I keep thinking that since this is slap-smooth new that the seat and suspension should settle a wee bit. but I doubt that it will settle more than 1/2 inch.

Has anyone lowered the 650 with the Performance Designs link? I have checked out about 3 of them but the PD link seems to be a well researched unit.

Quicksilver, I'm the same height with a 30" inseam. I'm on my toes as well, but you'll get used to it. The bike is so easy to hold upright it isn't even an issue. Now I can come to a complete stop and then go again without using either of my feet. On uneven terrain just slide to one side if you need to flat foot.

I hear alot of people complaining on here about it being too tall, but I'm only 5'6" and so far I haven't had any problems yet. Just asphalt so far though too, so maybe It'll be different when I finely get it in the dirt

Does your new XRL have any trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd? If I try to speed shift (without letting the RPMs fall down), it won't go into gear. If I pull the clutch and wait a second, it goes in no problem.

I posted about this before, people said "just break it in". I just past the 300 mile mark, we'll see.

I haven't had any problems shifting up but at least once or twice it hasn't shifted down into 1st at traffic lights. I'm gonna just give it some more time and hopefully it'll go away