yzf 426

Hi,just found this site,i need advice on how to start (technique) my yzf?its been stood for a few month and im actually more used to 2 strokes,also what are the red and black choke looking devices on the carb?and when should either or both be used?

welcome to tt! there is a lot of good info on here, so don't be a stranger. ? the red knob on the carb is called the hot start and the black one is the choke. it will exlpain everything you need to know in the video at the bottom of this page: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447989 hope this helps. good luck.

I am now an owner of a YZ426 and i also moved from a 2-stroke (YZ250). I will tell you my technique.

Cold Start: Pull Choke on, pull compression release and kick the motor over about 4-6 times and release comp release, find top-dead ctr and go barely past with comp release, let the kick starter come up 2 clicks, it shoudl fire first kick (don't be a p-waste and do a light kick, give it heck!!)

Hot Start (after running the engine a while): pull "red" hot start knob, find TDC (top dead center), 2 clicks as before, and go. MAKE SURE YOU IMMEDIATELY PUSH IN THE RED HOT-START KNOB AFTER MOTOR IS RUNNING, OTHERWISE YOU WILL BLOW UP YOUR MOTOR :-)

MAKE SURE YOU IMMEDIATELY PUSH IN THE RED HOT-START KNOB AFTER MOTOR IS RUNNING, OTHERWISE YOU WILL BLOW UP YOUR MOTOR :-)
More Bovine Scatology! You will NOT blow the engine if the hot start stays open. ? It will run very lean, stumble, and backfire, but it won't blow up.

Like Dirtbiker05 said, check out the videos at the link he posted.

More Bovine Scatology! ]

that is a unique way of putting it !!!! Read the link learn it like the back of your hand. When i first got mine, I read to learn to start it at home, when you are not out with your bud's in a hurry to get to ride it. Take your time and make sure you don't have your hand on the throttle when kicking it. put it on the master cyl if you have to. When i got mine the first time i went to start it i flooded it...... then took time to learn it and have not done it since.

[quote}

Take your time and make sure you don't have your hand on the throttle when kicking it. put it on the master cyl if you have to. When i got mine the first time i went to start it i flooded it...... then took time to learn it and have not done it since.

Definitely, do not twist the throttle as you kick it over. You will flood the engine and get quite the leg workout over the next few minutes trying to clear it.

The engine should start fairly easily with just the choke when cold. Once you get it running and warmed up, adjust the idle speed. Mine was racing when warm, and that made the bike harder to start after riding. Now I have the idle adjusted properly, and it starts on the first kick when warm (2-4 kicks when cold).