Made the XRL Plunge

Hi Y'all

I just picked up an almost new XRL last week and am damn happy with it so far. It beats the snot out of my built up DR650 off road and isn't bad on road at all.

I'm getting ready to tear her down and build her up again with a few improvements. So far, I just ripped the octopus off it and will be jetting it tonight.

Thanks for all the info on the forum!

Bill

Yep, the hotcams stage 1 is what I would use. We'll see how it goes once I get this thing put back together and ride a little.

I was really surprised at the suspension. I rebuilt the forks on the DR, added racetech emulators, better springs etc, revalved the shock and replaced the shock spring and it still doesn't ride as good as the stock XRL! I do need a little stiffer springs front and rear to stop the bottoming, but this thing rides great IMO.

I love the fact that you guys call this thing a pig. My other "dirt bike" is a 650 lb R1200 adventure. This red thing is just a piglet. Nice to have a bike that doesn't sound like the onset of the apocalypse when it lands!

Yep, the hotcams stage 1 is what I would use. We'll see how it goes once I get this thing put back together and ride a little.

I was really surprised at the suspension. I rebuilt the forks on the DR, added racetech emulators, better springs etc, revalved the shock and replaced the shock spring and it still doesn't ride as good as the stock XRL! I do need a little stiffer springs front and rear to stop the bottoming, but this thing rides great IMO.

I love the fact that you guys call this thing a pig. My other "dirt bike" is a 650 lb R1200 adventure. This red thing is just a piglet. Nice to have a bike that doesn't sound like the onset of the apocalypse when it lands!

LOL! just a nice little pet name.

i would love to have an adventure. you like it? pros/cons?

Love it.

I've had GS's since the mid 80's and will never be without one. I had it at the local MX track a couple days ago. Had a few guys laughing pretty hard as the thing came crashing down over the jumps. It ain't an MX bike, that's for sure.

But my XR won't hit 120mph on knobbies carrying 200 lbs of my crap plus my fat ass either!

Pros - fast (now), comfy on the long hauls, carries anything, 375miles between fillups, can do more than I ever thought on dirt for its size.

Cons - cost, too big for anything intense offroad

rh1.jpg