Yz450 07 Tank Bolts Stripped :confused:

Hi guys,

On a 07 450 there are 4 bolts holding each side radiator shroud in place.

The bolt closest to the back of the bike (not the one under the seat) has become seized. ( I think from the clearing chemicals i use)

When i have tried to remove the bolt the insert that is in the tank just turns. I have tried tapping the bolt to crack the seal as it were. No luck :busted:

Anyone else have this problem? Oh and its on both sides of the bike. Any suggestions on how to remove it now without buying a new tank :ride:

And before anyone asks... No i didnt over tighten them, they have seized from the cleaning chemical i use ( is my best guess) and i have since lubed each of those remaining bolts with copper compound to make sure they too don't get seized in.

Any info is much appreciated.... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link... although melting the tank leaves me a little worried..

I have an 07 and mine did the same thing. Mine was like that the frist time i tried to take them off. How have you made out with yours.

Well last night i managed to drill them both out carefully.

First i put a small 3mm bit in as a pilot whole, then i used a 6mm bit. As soon as the 6mm bit got past the head of the bolt, the bolts head came off.

Now i have taken an M6 bolt and cut the head off, to basically give me a stud. Then i cut a slot into the one end of the stud with a very thin grinding disc.

Then i mixed up some epoxy and pushed it into the bolt whole and screwed the stud in. Now if when i ever take the shrouds off again, then i can at least hold the stud with a flat screwdriver while loosening the nut if the insert starts to turn again. Might not be the prettiest fix. But it sure beats destroying the tank to get it off.

:thumbsup:

Here is what mine looks like now....

IMG_4586.jpg

Good idea!