Too much bike?

Is an 06 WR450 too much bike for a novice? I'm almost 44 years old and i weigh around 225 lbs. I have some dirt bike experience as a kid and I've had a couple street bikes as an adult. I live in Tennessee and will use the bike to chase my kids around the motocross track on their 50's and 65 as well as hitting the trails at places like Windrock. I've never been there but I assume they have mostly tight technical trails.

Sounds like you're in the same scenario I was in September. Chasing my 8 yr old son on his KX65 - he'll be racing next year.

I'm about 180, 40 years old, dirt bike experience from my youth, but hadn't ridden in 20 years, I really wanted a 250 four stroke but this really nice wr400f came up at a sweet price and I had to jump on it (literally).

The first couple of days I was almost regretting my purchase, however, after 3 days I really started to like the bike, now, after 2 months and daily riding (have my own mild track and many trails nearby), I really love the bike, still a lot of bike, but every time I get out on it, we sync more.

I'm pretty certain that next spring, we're going to get along just fine.

It's actually a very controllable bike if you lug it down, and quite nimble on the tighter trails - sure, a 250 would be easier, but you can't replace the power!

Thanks Matt. My 8 year old races, has been for 3 1/2 years now. He's getting ready to start his last year in the 50 class and his second year on the 65. I have no chance of keeping up with him but I might be able to keep my 6 year old in sight since he's only been riding a short time and doesn't race.

I'm sure I will get used to the power of the 450 in time. My only fear is that I won't live that long.

I'm sure you would be ok on the 450. You are a grown adult and at your weight the 450 would be a better fit in the long run. A 250 would be good for about a year, then you would find yourself wanting more power. A 450 is fine if you take your time to learn how to use the power the bike has to offer. Like you said, keep the bike stock for a while, and then uncork it once you're comfortable with the added power. Just be careful not to go into any tight single track areas until you can reasonably control the bike, take your time to learn how the bike will perform in different situations and terrain conditions. The key is to ride smart and safe. I started on a 250 and enjoyed it for about a year, then I found myself wanting more power and that's the reason I bought a 450 this summer. I love the power and torque from my WR450, I don't see myself outgrowing that power anytime soon. ?:ride:

Just be careful not to go into any tight single track areas until you can reasonably control the bike, take your time to learn how the bike will perform in different situations and terrain conditions.

This is the key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

I NEVER rode any motorcycle of any kind when I bought my 03 WR450 6 months ago. (I'm 6'5" 220lbs) I almost hated it at first because my brother's 250 was less scary to ride. A few months later, I LOVED it and got bored on the 250.

I did make the mistake of laying it down hard on some tight trails I wasn't ready for. Hurt my leg bad...

So, get the 450 or 250, your choice. I will always stick with a 450 now.

My point is be careful...either one can hurt you, a 450 can hurt you easier and faster.

Keep track of your mileage if you get the 450 and DON'T GO ON TRAILS UNTIL YOU HAVE RIDDEN IT FOR AT LEAST 300 MILES!!! :busted:

Good luck! :ride:

I bought my WR450 after many years of not riding, and I can not measure the amount of smiles this thing has put on my face! It is alot of bike- I am older and smarter than 'NO FEAR'. I do not believe crashing is required (I do crash, but I dont accept it as necesary).

I found I would get carried away, realize after the elation that I was probably going about 80, and that it was harder to get it slowed down in time to avoid stuff, I had to force myself to take things a little slower until I learned more skills. I ride very tight trails, and did have to gear it down. I now spend alot of time just doing slow speed balancing and I have learned a bunch about how to use my controls. At close to zero speed, you learn to feather the clutch, brakes & throttle much better than you do blasting around wide open. I am 190, 6' and I did install a lowering link, I think you will have nothing but fun on a 450 if you just go easy at first.

235 lbs this morning. I'm fatter than I thought. Still not sure I'd ever get the 450F out of 3rd gear.

Trust me- you wont be able to resist- it only takes a few seconds to be wide open and things come up fast at that speed- it will give you grin that will make your face ache! A few times I have gone to grab another gear, found out there were no more, and thats when I realized I was probably going alot faster than I thought.

Pretty much same as the above posts.... go for it!!!! Now that I've had the bike a couple years, I've stoked it up quite a bit and it RIPS and I love it. THe more power the better!!!!! I'm old too and pretty careful, but I figure I won't be able to ride this beast when I'm 70 or 80 so now's the time.

Don't believe any crap about needing a 450 if you are over 210lbs or so. Many people ride 250's, even those who weigh more that your 235. Unless you are an aggressive rider or fast racer, you won't notice too much difference with the 250 except that it will be easier to ride and at times more fun. I've ridden 250's and 450's and they all will pull you around just fine. The 450 will do it with more grunt and power and less throttle though.

Think of getting the appropriate bike for the situation. Novice + tight trails + good common sense = 250. Get a pipe and get some springs for the suspension and have fun.

Novice rider + tight trails + 450 = pain and broken bones. (Ask me how I know)

I'm not saying that you will kill yourself, but riding offroad is quite a bit different than riding on the street. I think a 250 will be easier and safer. Being 40+ with a family... safe is the key.

btw... a couple of years ago, I bought an 05 450 as my first dirt bike after riding 25 years on the street. I took it easy and tried not to get carried away. Three different low speed crashes left me with three different casts. But that's my fault. I wish I had started with the 250. Getting hurt sucks when you absolutely, positively, gotta go to work on monday.

If you are looking for a bike, look for a used 250. if you take to it really well and ride often, you'll outgrow it in a couple of years. Then get the 450, which in no way is a tight trails, putt around with the kids kinda bike. Trust me when I tell you that a 250 is a lot of fun to ride.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Don't believe any crap about needing a 450 if you are over 210lbs or so. Many people ride 250's, even those who weigh more that your 235. Unless you are an aggressive rider or fast racer, you won't notice too much difference with the 250 except that it will be easier to ride and at times more fun. I've ridden 250's and 450's and they all will pull you around just fine. The 450 will do it with more grunt and power and less throttle though.

Think of getting the appropriate bike for the situation. Novice + tight trails + good common sense = 250. Get a pipe and get some springs for the suspension and have fun.

Novice rider + tight trails + 450 = pain and broken bones. (Ask me how I know)

I'm not saying that you will kill yourself, but riding offroad is quite a bit different than riding on the street. I think a 250 will be easier and safer. Being 40+ with a family... safe is the key.

btw... a couple of years ago, I bought an 05 450 as my first dirt bike after riding 25 years on the street. I took it easy and tried not to get carried away. Three different low speed crashes left me with three different casts. But that's my fault. I wish I had started with the 250. Getting hurt sucks when you absolutely, positively, gotta go to work on monday.

If you are looking for a bike, look for a used 250. if you take to it really well and ride often, you'll outgrow it in a couple of years. Then get the 450, which in no way is a tight trails, putt around with the kids kinda bike. Trust me when I tell you that a 250 is a lot of fun to ride.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Some great points here. My brother weighs 250+ without gear and has plenty of fun on his 250! It's quicker than me on my 450 on tight trails.

you could leave the 450 corked up until you get used to it. I had the wr250 that I rode for 3years at windrock. I was always searching for more torque. It pulled fine in the middle and upper rpms, but the wide ratio tranmission is a little gappy and the power falls off. I ride a 06wr450 now and love it. Just stay off the single track for now( not that you could find much at windrock anymore since they started putting gas wells everywhere. )