HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yz250o2

Quick Exhaust Question about Header/Oilfilter access

14 posts in this topic

So I have the 08 White Bros...and I still am having backfire issues with the pipe even after I jetted it. BUT I reused the stock crush gasket on the header flange....something tells me that me doing that is causing my backfiring.

The only think is tho is that what do you guys with the aftermarket pipes do with the crush gasket EVERY time you loosen the header to get to the oil filter? Do you put a new one on every time?

No but loosening a header for oil filter access and retightening is somewhat a different deal than installing a completely different header.

Don't make too big a deal out of a little backfiring, though.

What gasket are you talking about? The 06-07 have no crush gasket

Is this a gasket for the 08 crappy pipe?

Yamaha lists: 3VD-14613-01-00 GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE for the '06-'07, and I can assure you that both my '06's have one. If the WB pipe uses a slip fit adapter at the head, that adapter needs to be sealed to the head, it would seem to me. If it bolts in as the stock header does, it needs a gasket.

Yamaha lists: 3VD-14613-01-00 GASKET, EXHAUST PIPE for the '06-'07, and I can assure you that both my '06's have one. If the WB pipe uses a slip fit adapter at the head, that adapter needs to be sealed to the head, it would seem to me. If it bolts in as the stock header does, it needs a gasket.

interesting.....my oem header has no gasket for the header to cylinder and my WB has no gasket for the cylinder. It slips on and is held in place by the allen head bolt and 12mm nut only. The header to cannister/muffler junction on my WB is also a slip on - I use high temp gasket sealer here to seal

Maybe this gasket is just a permanent part of the cylinder now....come to think of it my 03 does not have this either....

Am I on pain meds?.....no, but I am complete confused on *** you are both referring to....unless you are talking about the oem mid pipe silver gasket that fits into the other end of the oem header to cannister/muffler. This is not used on any other pipe other than oem.....

Item #6. It will almost never fall out when the pipe is removed, since it expands laterally when crushed, which pinches it into the port. You would usually have to pry it out of place. Your '03 started out with one, too.

partimage.gifx?d=91595,2,0

This seems to happen quite often when guys put on their first aftermarket pipe. It does stuff it never did before like backfiring and they get mad. I ask if they put the washer on from their old pipe or a new one and the usual response is "what washer". It's always stuck to the original head pipe. Loosening shouldn't be an issue as it's the same pipe going back to the same place, should seal fine. Any new head pipe should have a new crush washer ideally.

It's always stuck to the original head pipe.
In YZF's it normally sticks in the port in the head, as that's recessed. It's completely out of sight unless you look for it.

Darn it Gray....you taught me somthing new again....dog gone it..........:ride:

well here is the bottomline......I never removed this bugger and both of my WB pipes are sealed completely at the header/cylinder...no backfiring...:thumbsup:

Darn it Gray....you taught me somthing new again....dog gone it..........:ride:
Sorry. I won't do it again.

I usually have no trouble re-using that gasket, either, but it is a possibility. :thumbsup:

alright that's what Ive thought haha. Ill put a new gasket in and see if it helps the backfire. Wow I suck at jetting though. Going down the hill in 2nd gear on decel just backfires like crazy....more than other bike do.

Sorry. I won't do it again.

I usually have no trouble re-using that gasket, either, but it is a possibility. :thumbsup:

i'm sure its a prisoner of good ole' wear&tear like most parts, maybe he rode his bike longer than you did before you put your dr. d on.

and i did notice some sort of gasket in there when i put my new dr. d on so its there...

Alright so i talked to a tech from Rousville Yamaha and the first thing I told him was"hey getting some backfireing on decel." first thing he says is "Did you put a new crush washer on the head? and did you use Hightemp SIlicone on the midpipe?"

Then I asked him if you need to replace the crush washer everytime you loosen the header to get to the Oil filter and he said you sure do.... but you guys arent having any problems loosing it tho huh?

Then I asked him if you need to replace the crush washer everytime you loosen the header to get to the Oil filter and he said you sure do.... but you guys arent having any problems loosing it tho huh?

Not so far. Again, loosening and re-tightening the same pipe is a little different than switching to a completely different pipe. His answers are straight "from the book".