HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brazen red

clutch slipping

4 posts in this topic

I have a clutch slip problem on my '98 Wr400. It occurs only in top gear, but at all rev speeds.

I have fitted a complete new clutch with H/D springs and boths sets of plates (Yam stock) hoping to rectify the problem, but it remains.

I thought the clutch I removed looked OK. It looks like it was an uprated clutch as it has dimples on the steel plates, unlike the new standard yamaha clutch I have now fitted.

Someone mentioned it could be the oil type, and suggested going to mineral oil might solve it.

I am currently using semi-synthetic oil (which has been recommended to me generally as it is an old bike), against synthetic oil, as recommended by Yamaha in the workshop manual.

Or should I try going back to synthetic oil? Or none of the above?

if anyone can help I would be grateful.

All the best,

cheers, Red.

Search "5th gear" ? maybe you have a top gear problem? there have been may discussions on this with symptoms similar to yours.

I now agree - this could well be a gearbox problem.

What a pain as i've just rebuilt the bottom end!

Is there any way to be sure before I rip it apart again? Where should I look for wear, or will it be obvious. I didn't notice any wear when I had it apart....

All the best,

Cheers, Red