08 yz450 exhaust.. wich one

i'm looking to get a slip on or a full system,

witch brand make the best one as far as fit, finish, power, quality..

will a slip-on help at all with the 08?

being that they made the stock silencer so short and did something to make it not as loud.

i know that when i had my r1, as soon as i put a full system on it it was so much better, but it was a street bike and had a catalik converter(stock) so i could understand why it felt so good ones the pipes where empty.

but on an mx'er, being that the mid pipe is empty and i would think yamaha would try to get as much preformace out of the bike as possible, i cant understand why an aftermarket mid pipe would be better then stock.

please fill me in

:thumbsup:

I just picked up a MRD for my 07

and WOW !!!

big diff , great quality and good service

Full system 399 .

Since the OEM muffler is welded to the mid pipe, it becomes necessary to replace both when changing them. But the fact that it is "empty" doesn't mean the pipe can't be changed to alter the performance of the bike.

The way that an exhaust system works to enhance performance forces the tuner to pick an RPM range in which he wants the most help from the pipe, and this means that all performance exhausts are a compromise to some extent. This is far less true of a four-stroke than than a two-stroke, but it's true all the same.

When changing out a very effective stock exhaust system like the YZ426/450 has had from about '01 up to '07, you can usually only hope to add a very small amount to the peak horsepower (two is the most I can remember seeing), and the usual benefit is in moving the power from one range to another, like adding more bottom end, or a stronger, wider mid range. In most cases, the worst that will happen to the top end is that it won't gain anything. Even headers, "empty" though they are, have a pronounced effect on the power character of an engine.

This doesn't mean that Yamaha didn't care, or didn't try to get the best out of the engine, just that their tuning philosophy and goals may differ from yours. But the '08 exhaust seems to have been all about sound levels and marketing. They could have done a far better job of reducing sound without the performance loss at the low end, IMO.

My choice would be the DRD stainless full system, but almost any pipe that frees up the exhaust, even a stock '06 pipe, will help the '08.

I got me wanna dem yander Dr Ds and she makes me yamaha screammmmmmm:ride:

grayracer thanks for the input.

i like the top end but like you said the low end is in need for some help

i didnt even look at the pipe but your saying that i cant put on a slip-on?

matt how was the fit with the dr.d?

does it come in the way when changing the oil filter?

or thats the whith bros one?

your saying that i cant put on a slip-on?
Not at all. But "slip-ons" come with their own mid pipe. They slip onto the original header.

In general, I don't see many slip-on exhausts that do more than elevate the bling factor of a bike, except for those designed to reduce noise. However, because of how restrictive the '08 system seems to be, almost anything will improve the low end. But, there is a possibility that the "wrong" slip-on system might reduce top end power slightly, cut off the "over-rev" early, or create jetting problems.

grayracer thanks for the input.

i like the top end but like you said the low end is in need for some help

i didnt even look at the pipe but your saying that i cant put on a slip-on?

matt how was the fit with the dr.d?

does it come in the way when changing the oil filter?

or thats the whith bros one?

Dr D is great on the 08 I have tried white bros, 06 stock, 08 stock,07 stock and the Dr D is the best. Opens bottom up top stays about the same maybe a little more over rev. Fit ment is great it does not get in the way of oil filter at all:ride:

Not at all. But "slip-ons" come with their own mid pipe. They slip onto the original header.

In general, I don't see many slip-on exhausts that do more than elevate the bling factor of a bike, except for those designed to reduce noise. However, because of how restrictive the '08 system seems to be, almost anything will improve the low end. But, there is a possibility that the "wrong" slip-on system might reduce top end power slightly, cut off the "over-rev" early, or create jetting problems.

thanx again for the info..:ride::thumbsup:

any recomondetions for a slip-on?

matt..

the dr.d you got is it a 08 model or they didnt change from the 07 ones

and, you have the 08 450, right?

just put the drd on on my o8 yz 450 and i love it ,gives the bike more power everywhere,it does get in the way of the oil filter bolt.i just lossen up the flange bolts and rotate the pipe up a little and its no problem.for 500 hundred its the best thing you can do for your bike

just put the drd on on my o8 yz 450 and i love it ,gives the bike more power everywhere,it does get in the way of the oil filter bolt.i just lossen up the flange bolts and rotate the pipe up a little and its no problem.for 500 hundred its the best thing you can do for your bike

you can mount so this doesnt happen. I have never had that issue with 06-08

Yes i have a 08 they have not made a pipe for just 08 its same pipe that went on 06-07 and it doesnt get in the way of oil filter if mounted correctly. I have 06 also. Do a search on this in this thread has been talked about alot

I did a fmf mega bomb head pipe on my 08 an it was all i need to do to get the power back. It gave me a solid bottom end an really good pull right to the top for my money i would keep the stock muffler an just add the mega bomb. an then you dont have to worry about a loud bike . or the muffler stickin out the back end to far.

you can mount so this doesnt happen. I have never had that issue with 06-08

Yes i have a 08 they have not made a pipe for just 08 its same pipe that went on 06-07 and it doesnt get in the way of oil filter if mounted correctly. I have 06 also. Do a search on this in this thread has been talked about alot

i do mount mine where its not in the way. i go riding all day then go to change my oil...........what the pipe has rotated back down a little bit right in the way of that bolt.:thumbsup:

i ordered a 08 one ,it might be the same but when i called they said yes its a 08 model:ride:

i do mount mine where its not in the way. i go riding all day then go to change my oil...........what the pipe has rotated back down a little bit right in the way of that bolt.:thumbsup:

i ordered a 08 one ,it might be the same but when i called they said yes its a 08 model:ride:

Did you call Dr D or just the place you ordered from? I have spoken to Doug himself on this and there is not a new pipe for 08 YET, and may never be one. The pipe Mxa tested was the 06-07 pipe, and so is everything else out there. Your "08" pipe will be the same as one you have now:bonk: . Call DR D. they will tell ya.

i do mount mine where its not in the way. i go riding all day then go to change my oil...........what the pipe has rotated back down a little bit right in the way of that bolt. :thumbsup:

Mine does that, but it doesn't :ride: me.
Mine does that, but it doesn't :thumbsup: me.

it dosent :ride: me either

Did you call Dr D or just the place you ordered from? I have spoken to Doug himself on this and there is not a new pipe for 08 YET, and may never be one. The pipe Mxa tested was the 06-07 pipe, and so is everything else out there. Your "08" pipe will be the same as one you have now:bonk: . Call DR D. they will tell ya.

i only have one,my bad i was saying when i ordered it they said it was a 08 pipe and yes i did call,i put it on two weeks ago:thumbsup:

i called white bros today and they told me that the 07 E2 slip-on didn't run to good so they have a new 08 model in stock but its like 399.99 or something.

i'm trying to see if any other on line stores carry the 08 white bros E2.

if that does'nt work i'll go with dr.d slip-on.

just to make sure.. dr.d 06-07 will be good on the 08?

is that what your running matt?

if that does'nt work i'll go with dr.d slip-on.

There is no DRD slip-on. Complete systems only, and yes, the '06-'07 pipe fits and performs fine on an '08.
I did a fmf mega bomb head pipe on my 08 an it was all i need to do to get the power back. It gave me a solid bottom end an really good pull right to the top for my money i would keep the stock muffler an just add the mega bomb. an then you dont have to worry about a loud bike . or the muffler stickin out the back end to far.

really ?, this is nothing negative about the mega bomb , those are nice , but they wont increase exhaust flow , the reason the 08 lost power is because the new little muff is all plugged up :thumbsup:

really ?, this is nothing negative about the mega bomb , those are nice , but they wont increase exhaust flow , the reason the 08 lost power is because the new little muff is all plugged up :thumbsup:
It's theoretically plausible that the Mega Bomb might do that, IMO, and the monkey says it works. For now, I think we have to take his word for that and wait for more feedback.