Clutch Replacement: Replace it all or some?

So my clutch is engaging only at the last few millimeters of my clutch level throw so I figure my friction plates are just about shot.

What's typically changed, friction plates, springs, clutch plates? Or is there more/less that needs to be replaced for a typical clutch replacement?

So my clutch is engaging only at the last few millimeters of my clutch level throw so I figure my friction plates are just about shot.

What's typically changed, friction plates, springs, clutch plates? Or is there more/less that needs to be replaced for a typical clutch replacement?

Take it apart and inspect it. Usually you can get by with just replacing the friction plates . It just depends though, take it apart and make sure the driven plates arent warped or burnt up.

all. stock parts.

You mean releasing? "Engaging" is when the clutch takes hold of the transmission when you let the lever out. "Disengaging", or "Releasing" is when it lets go as you pull the lever in. A lot of people get this backward.

Either way, if you meant that it doesn't release until it's pulled unusually far, this normally is because either you're using an oil that doesn't sit well with your clutch, or the plates are no longer flat.

Also possible is that the fingers of the clutch basket are notched excessively, which may make it difficult for the plates to move away from each other, or that the springs have sagged unevenly and are tilting the pressure plate.

Like the man said, pull it down and look. When I did the clutch in my 250F, it needed friction plates only, a new set of springs, and a basket.

You mean releasing? "Engaging" is when the clutch takes hold of the transmission when you let the lever out. "Disengaging", or "Releasing" is when it lets go as you pull the lever in. A lot of people get this backward.

Either way, if you meant that it doesn't release until it's pulled unusually far, this normally is because either you're using an oil that doesn't sit well with your clutch, or the plates are no longer flat.

Also possible is that the fingers of the clutch basket are notched excessively, which may make it difficult for the plates to move away from each other, or that the springs have sagged unevenly and are tilting the pressure plate.

Like the man said, pull it down and look. When I did the clutch in my 250F, it needed friction plates only, a new set of springs, and a basket.

No, when I let the lever out it engages at the end. In other words, if I pull the clutch lever in just a few mm it disengages the tranny from the engine.

That's not a typical complaint. New friction plates would likely cure that.

Be sure it has enough free play.

That's not a typical complaint. New friction plates would likely cure that.

Be sure it has enough free play.

Yeah, its more of a worry on my part. When properly adjusted it used to engage about half way out so its telling me Im getting down there on the meat. I'll take a look, thanks guys:applause: