Question about Air fliter on XR 650r

Well I have finished Un-corking the bike, just got my shocks back from Precision Concepts and put back on the bike- and I thought I would change the Air filter also. My question is can I remove and discard the Metal filter that comes with the stock filter- I believe it is called a Frame trap. Do I really need this? It looks like it really clogs the air flow. I am putting in a Twin Air filter.

Thanks, Ryon

Carefull...if you tip the bike over on a steep hill the air box will fill with gas,and if it pops back when you kick it over it can ignite in the air box if that screen is missing.

Can you say HOT SEAT!!???

Ok cool, I'll leave it on. Thank you very much

Ok cool, I'll leave it on. Thank you very much
No get rid of it buddy it is way overkill get a twin air fire proof filter. Cut or drill with a holesaw 4 holes in your side plate and use pieces of your old back fire screen to cover the holes on the inside of your plate :thumbsup:

XR's only backfire screen, and a uni:thumbsup:

I removed the first layer of screen on mine (650r) but Iv'e heard some stories of the "hot seat". If you ever see gas coming out of the air box pop the cover off and let it air out a bit before you try to start it.

No get rid of it buddy it is way overkill get a twin air fire proof filter. ...

Yeah - Take it out & throw it away.

Ask the guys at PC what they use or used to use, you'll be surprised.

Alright cool- thanks again guys.

I rode the bike today over at the track i have made for my kids and I on our aunts 10 acres up here in Alpine- man what a diffrence un-corking the bike makes! Plus the suspension is so sweet. Cant wait to take this thing to the desert now and really push it. next thing I want to do is buy a stabilizer.

Also, when I remove the metal screen and drill a couple of holes in the side of the cover and add metal screen as a vent- do you guys think I will need to re jet or will I be fine at a 175main 68s slow?