swapping a yz over or just buy a wr?

I've got an 02 yz 426 and am cought in a delima. I LOVE the bike, but it doesn't really fit my needs, I do all trail riding and no MX.. I'm debating on just swapping out the parts I need to partially convert it to a WR, or just selling my bike and buying another. All i really want is the wide ratio tranny and a headlight. I've heard the 426's are built like an ox, so I dont really want to get rid of it. But on the other hand, it sure would save a lot of work. I figured a cost of about $700 or $800 for a headlight and gears (with what I want anyway, not the cheapest route). Where as a new bike wouldn't run more then about a grand after selling mine. I've done piston jobs, clutch overhauls, and the sort, but I have never really gotten into a transmission. But I imagine they couldn't be too hard. I guess what I'm asking, is it better to just go buy a WR, or swap out the gears and stator/flywheel? Any opinions?

Thanks,

Fritz

I would buy a wr

This is hard to give you an opinion. If your looking for a new WR; your out well more than a grand. If your looking used, then I concur with your cost estimate.

Go the used route if you do not want to be out more than a grand or so. See if you can get an 05 or 06 close to your difference. May be tough and you may go earlier vintage.

Could you get by on a simple sprocket set change like perhaps 13x50 or 13x51. This the cheapest route. Surely you have considered.

I would buy a wr

x2. :thumbsup:

I've got an 02 yz 426 and am cought in a delima. I LOVE the bike, but it doesn't really fit my needs, I do all trail riding and no MX.. I'm debating on just swapping out the parts I need to partially convert it to a WR, or just selling my bike and buying another. All i really want is the wide ratio tranny and a headlight. I've heard the 426's are built like an ox, so I dont really want to get rid of it. But on the other hand, it sure would save a lot of work. I figured a cost of about $700 or $800 for a headlight and gears (with what I want anyway, not the cheapest route). Where as a new bike wouldn't run more then about a grand after selling mine. I've done piston jobs, clutch overhauls, and the sort, but I have never really gotten into a transmission. But I imagine they couldn't be too hard. I guess what I'm asking, is it better to just go buy a WR, or swap out the gears and stator/flywheel? Any opinions?

Thanks,

Fritz

I would by a WR.

Youre in WA state?

Check out this 04', apparently it is meticulous, (I believe that) and it's plated :thumbsup:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=31751&cat=2

And its low mileage. I believe toyo tech's '04 has less miles than my '07

I had a 02 426, fast bike. There well built, but won't last forever. I raced mine for 2 seasons and rode it 2-3 days a week for 2 years. I finally seized the bike, I'm sponsored by a local shop so I get a good deal on parts and labor, it still cost 1,700.00. I love YZ's, I kept buying them until the 07 WR came out. I won't go back, the bike took awhile to get the suspension dialed. It now eats up the woods and kills it in the desert. I love this bike, Jeff S

Could you get by on a simple sprocket set change like perhaps 13x50 or 13x51. This the cheapest route. Surely you have considered.

I have done that already. It helps, but the gearing is so close together, that I dont even need 2nd or 4th. But seems like just buying a WR is the way to go. Thanks guys!

Just get a wr it's not worth changing almost the whole bike.There is not a lot that is the same any more . Not to mention the ez button .For us that don't want to kick it to death anymore . Hey why is it that I can't kickstart my 2007 wr 450 without kicking like 5 times . But I can kickstart my 1991 cr500 the first or second kick everytime?

Is it a four stroke thing that I don't understand?

Just get a wr it's not worth changing almost the whole bike.There is not a lot that is the same any more . Not to mention the ez button .For us that don't want to kick it to death anymore . Hey why is it that I can't kickstart my 2007 wr 450 without kicking like 5 times . But I can kickstart my 1991 cr500 the first or second kick everytime?

Is it a four stroke thing that I don't understand?

depends, 4 strokes are more sensitive than 2 strokes. I would start a new thread but i will tell you to make sure your jetting is correct.

I'm just using the ez button for now.