Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Cahill

Stock clutch springs any good?

16 posts in this topic

I just recently pulled out my clutch because its starting to slip.

I read here at TT that if you rough up the friction plates (sand them) a little you can get some more life out of them, i did that, and its still slipping.

(plates are still all in spec)

so my next option is to get some new springs, i want to get some high quality ones that wont wear out, but i dont want to pay $60 some odd bucks for a couple of springs! :worthy:

so my question is, are stock springs any good?

and will they last for a conciderable ammount of time?

I have no problem with the OEM springs. Most of the after market ones are too stiff and hard to pull with no reason for being that way.

I agree with grayracer. Aftermarket springs are too stiff. The OEM ones may not last as long but your clutch will feel like new if your plates. hub, pressure plate and basket are all ok.

I wouldn't waste any cash on replacing springs. Just order a set of friction disks....O.E.M. Yamaha seem to hold up the best. Your disks may not spec out under the lower service limit but if they have been overheated they will have their friction properties compromised and sanding won't help.

I agree with grayracer. Aftermarket springs are too stiff. The OEM ones may not last as long but your clutch will feel like new if your plates. hub, pressure plate and basket are all ok.

+2 on the OEM stuff!!!! Are you suuuuure the plates measure out correctly? How are the steels looking? I have over a hundred hours on my stock 06 clutch and it works flawless.

I wouldn't waste any cash on replacing springs.
You understand that he has a '98 YZ400? At that age, they're certainly at least a little tired, and at $2 each, retail, hardly expensive.

You understand that he has a '98 YZ400? At that age, they're certainly at least a little tired, and at $2 each, retail, hardly expensive.

New clutch and be done with it for another................9 years? I love these YZ's

My bad!!!!!............yeah a '98 probably has some pretty tired springs.

Your clutch is slipping because its WORN OUT.

Don't bother with jimmy rigging things, just do it right.

New plates & springs.

if your are replacing the springs alternate between a heavy duty and stock this will give bettrfriction on the plates and wont have the hard pull of a full set of aftermarkets.

alright, well i think i'll just go with the stock springs, the ones that have been in there have worked great, and they are stock.

and as far as the plates, the friction plates have about a 3rd life left on them, and the steel plates are fine.

so i'll get new springs, and a a set of plates as well :thumbsup:

Thanks, for all the replies guys! :ride:

I have another question,

If im going to replace my plates, should i replace just the friction plates, or bolth friction and steel plates?

and should i go stock or aftermarket?

You should use OEM plates, unless you are using Hinson or GYT-R. Most aftermarket plates are, um, unsatisfactory. :thumbsup:

Check the steels per the manual. If they are flat (use a straight edge), free of wear and scoring, and the ears aren't beat up, you can re-use them.

if your are replacing the springs alternate between a heavy duty and stock this will give bettrfriction on the plates and wont have the hard pull of a full set of aftermarkets.

I've done this, it seems to work fine.