HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tweav

sixth gear

9 posts in this topic

Is there anybody out there making a kit ? or just the parts to add sixth gear to a 2007 wr 450?

Haven't heard of anything like that.

If there WAS a six speed conversion I would be all over it!

It would have to have have the gears made out of some pretty tough material though. The gearbox is pretty crammed into the cased and the gears would have to be quite a bit narrower to get six sets in there.

Do you really need your WR to go over 90 mph?

there is no kit...but whats wrong with a sprocket change...im running 15/48 and i can cruse no problem at 55-70 with out rev'in the bike out. heck i know a couple guys running 15/45. thats whats nice about the wr tranny is 1st is low enough to pull the tall gearing.

I'm most likely going to swap gears ,but I was wondering if there was a 6th kit I would buy it . it would make the bike a better dual sport

I know of guys doing that with their KTM's. I believe the SX's can be converted from 4 to 6 speed, but never heard of anyone doing that to a WR.

I know of guys doing that with their KTM's. I believe the SX's can be converted from 4 to 6 speed, but never heard of anyone doing that to a WR.

I imagine the SX's and EXC's use the same engine cases so you could put an EXC transmission in an SX. There are no bikes with six gears that use the WR engine cases so you'd have to get the gear clusters custom made which wouldn't be cheap or good for reliability.

It was just a idea .I knew some bikes you can get differant gearsets .In fact I had a regeared rmx 250 years ago

Aren't the new steet legal WR250's coming with six gears? Maybe Yamaha will get their act together and hook up the dirt bikes with the same system.

I'm almost positive the wr 250 tranny will not fit in the wr450

cases . but it is possible I guess