175lb XR650R

We are all familiar with magnesium and titanium replacement parts used on works bikes. With magnesium being a direct replacement for an aluminum part and titanium being a replacement for a comparable steel component. Magnesium has a density of 1.8 and for titanium the density is 4.7. Thus if we were able to fabricate an identical part made of magnesium that was currently made of aluminum the new part would weigh 33% less. Similarly if we were to make a titanium part that was currently made of steel the new part would weigh 40% less. These types of replacement parts are typically described as Unobtainium. Hypothetically, if we replace all of the steel parts with titanium and all of the aluminum parts with magnesium the XR-650R would weigh 198 pounds! Wouldn’t that be great! Add to this savings what we could gain from elimination and modification and it might be possible to make a 175 pound XR-650R.

**taken from: http://www.srcinc.net/html/101-03.html

Run your tires at 5 lbs and save some weight there too.:worthy: Sure would be nice if you could trim the fat. I think it would be much easier to take the motor and put it in something else or build a frame around it. Stuff it in a 2000 something CR80 woohoo watch that go.

Have you ever wondered if the 300+ pounds of a XRR or XRL is what lets it ride smooth and fast through choppy nasties when you see CR250's hopping and chattering all over the place? I have. I also appreciate when the XRR plants that rear tire for traction up hill climbs instead of bouncing around like the 2-smokes.

Maybe it doesn't change direction that fast, but I feel it dampens much of the motion that you get on lighter bikes when you are riding at higher speeds.

Have you ever wondered if the 300+ pounds of a XRR or XRL is what lets it ride smooth and fast through choppy nasties when you see CR250's hopping and chattering all over the place? I have. I also appreciate when the XRR plants that rear tire for traction up hill climbs instead of bouncing around like the 2-smokes.

Maybe it doesn't change direction that fast, but I feel it dampens much of the motion that you get on lighter bikes when you are riding at higher speeds.

That's why I call it my 350lbs trials bike!

Dave

Yeah, that's the same argument Ford used to make about thier overweight Pinto: "it has more road-hugging weight".

Yeah, until you try and turn, stop, go up hill, etc.

If money was no object, a feller could use beryllium alloys for the frame, bars, fork sliders, subframe, etc., and save more weight.

You might be able to push the cost of the bike to a million or more using stuff fabricated with beryllium - one of the more unobtainable unobtainium metals.

:worthy:

If money was no object, a feller could use beryllium alloys for the frame, bars, fork sliders, subframe, etc., and save more weight.

You might be able to push the cost of the bike to a million or more using stuff fabricated with beryllium - one of the more unobtainable unobtainium metals.

:worthy:

Why stop there?? :worthy:

I'm pretty sure there's some Anti-Gravity technology out there somewhere, in some Top Secret Government Lab that could be applied to the situation. If you could cough up enough spondolas to the right person, I'm sure they'd slip you the technology under the table ....... say a few Billion dollars (something in the Bill Gates range). Then the actual gravity induced weight would be inconsequential. The only problem with this scenario is that it would be hard to keep the rear wheel planted firmly on Terra Ferma, thus reducing the traction quotient of the equation :worthy:

Just a little example of the exotic materials can do.

h01.jpg

h02.jpg

h03.jpg

h05.jpgh06.jpg

h04.jpg

This bike was a '96 Husqvarna TE 610 SM, it weighed 273 lbbs.

In 1997/1998 Poggipolini -www.poggipolini.com- (do you know NCR?) changed every single part of the stock bike with a similar in titanium/ergal/carbon fiber.

A little part list:

TITANIUM

Frame, rear frame, triple clamps, swing arm, front fork pipes, exhaust system, foot pegs, side stand, engine covers, gear change pedal, spokes, connecting rod, intake and exhaust valves, all pivots and all bolts and nuts and more....

ERGALl

Rear shock absorber, wheel hubs, nipples, handlebar and more.....

CARBON FIBER

Side panels, fenders, lower seat (sorry) and more.....

STEEL

Crankshaft, balls of ball bearings and.......and few other.

After the "care" the bike weighed...............202 lbbs.

With a front fork like rear shock absorber (ergal, without springs), the weight would have become to 196 lbbs.

I love this bike.

Piero

Just a little example of the exotic materials can do.

h01.jpg

h02.jpg

h03.jpg

h05.jpgh06.jpg

h04.jpg

This bike was a '96 Husqvarna TE 610 SM, it weighed 273 lbbs.

In 1997/1998 Poggipolini -www.poggipolini.com- (do you know NCR?) changed every single part of the stock bike with a similar in titanium/ergal/carbon fiber.

A little part list:

TITANIUM

Frame, rear frame, triple clamps, swing arm, front fork pipes, exhaust system, foot pegs, side stand, engine covers, gear change pedal, spokes, connecting rod, intake and exhaust valves, all pivots and all bolts and nuts and more....

ERGALl

Rear shock absorber, wheel hubs, nipples, handlebar and more.....

CARBON FIBER

Side panels, fenders, lower seat (sorry) and more.....

STEEL

Crankshaft, balls of ball bearings and.......and few other.

After the "care" the bike weighed...............202 lbbs.

With a front fork like rear shock absorber (ergal, without springs), the weight would have become to 196 lbbs.

I love this bike.

Piero

...oooohhhh... now we are talking..........