Slightly bent Front Disc, What am I to do to fix this problem??

Well my front rim is just a tad bent, enough that, if the bike is on the stand and I go to spin the front wheel it will slow down almost all at the point where the disc hits the brake pads. Its completely ridable, but I don't like it.

It also makes a slight clicking sounds, very slight, but its there,

How would I straighten a SLIGHTLY bent disc? Anyone have an idea?

Well my front rim is just a tad bent, enough that, if the bike is on the stand and I go to spin the front wheel it will slow down almost all at the point where the disc hits the brake pads. Its completely ridable, but I don't like it.

It also makes a slight clicking sounds, very slight, but its there,

How would I straighten a SLIGHTLY bent disc? Anyone have an idea?

Is it your rum or your brake disc? I'm guessing your disc because it's causing the wheel to stop....but if you're thinking your rim is bent as well you might want to get it trued. Watch out for high speed wobble if it's bent bad enough.

If your disc is bent, you can try to heat it SLIGHTLY and bend it back, but you'll probably just do more harm to it. If it's bad, just invest in a new one and get a guard for it:thumbsup:

If you have a very large adjustable wrench (with smooth jaws, no teeth) you could locate the bent section of the disk, close the jaws around the disk and pry it straight. This will leave no marks on the disk and get it back to normal as possible. The only way to guarantee perfection is to buy a new one.

If you have a very large adjustable wrench (with smooth jaws, no teeth) you could locate the bent section of the disk, close the jaws around the disk and pry it straight. This will leave no marks on the disk and get it back to normal as possible. The only way to guarantee perfection is to buy a new one.

I did this to my rear brake and it fixed it perfectly. You do not have to buy a new disc. It just takes a little bit of time to get it back staight.

Its the DISC, and its only slightly bent, the rim is fine its good.

Its only a few mm's off, its not bad at all, I'm sure it would be an easy fix but I don't know what to do that won't hurt it.

Anyone??

If you're worried about it being slightly bent, trying to bend it back may make it worse.

Whatever you do, DO NOT add heat. Adding heat makes the metal weaker and will warp it if you add too much.

My son bent his front disc. It was the lower part, not the disk itself. I used a drift and tapped the lower section carefully until it trued up again. What I mean by the lowere part is the piece that bolts to the hub.

Good advice and it works.

Uneven heating can warp the disk and doesn't leave the disk with the same metallurgical properties all the way around it. Bending it back almost never get it perfectly flat - you actually have to over-bend it and let it "release" back a bit and hope it gets straight. If you bend it cold, that also work-hardens the disk and can cause microscopic defects in the disk. The same goes with hammering it in a vise.

Since the disk is a safety item, I'd buy a new one rather than risk a failure or weird braking when it's needed the most.

• Like 1

Uneven heating can warp the disk and doesn't leave the disk with the same metallurgical properties all the way around it. Bending it back almost never get it perfectly flat - you actually have to over-bend it and let it "release" back a bit and hope it gets straight. If you bend it cold, that also work-hardens the disk and can cause microscopic defects in the disk. The same goes with hammering it in a vise.

Since the disk is a safety item, I'd buy a new one rather than risk a failure or weird braking when it's needed the most.

+1

But I guess if your flat ass broke or just to cheap to buy a new one you could try and bend it back. But I would take it off the hub as mentioned that way your not saving for a new hub to!:worthy:

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Ive strighten them befor. I took a felt tip marker to locate the high spot, and then hit the mark with a round pice of wood and a hammer. look at the carier when your done to see if its damaged.

One can often get away with "fixing" a minor disk bend, but it still damages the disk at a microscopic level. You probably won't be able to see the tiny fractures that occur if the disk is bent cold, but they're there. It's all good if you can get the disk straight and it doesn't fail. I personally don't trust it.

Either way you are still bending it the same ammount.

Is it just me, but why skimp on a safety item for yourself and others? Look at it as a way to upgrade at the same time.

Upgrade?

Its an EBC 280mm rotor, the things pricy!

I'll get the job done, one way or another.

Use a shifter and gently bend it straight. Just do it a little at a time and it will work fine. No need to apply heat.

The force you can put on with a shifter is nothing compared to putting the brakes on hard at the end of the straight in a race so it wont break anything unless it is already weakened.

Yes, ideally you should replace it but if cash is tight, this works fine.