Gearbox wear and tear?

Just completed an oil and filter change on my '05 WR450 and noticed 2 small metal slivers 2-3mm long on the magnetic sump plug. Never seen this before and my best guess is a gearbox problem.

Anybody know if WR's are prone to any particular gear cog problem before it gets pulled apart?

My stator came apart and slivers were everywhere.

They are most probably from the gearbox. The gearboxes are known for doing 3rd and 5th gear dogs (not on all WR's though, might have something to do with maintenance, terrain or riding technique)

Personally if it were my bike, I wouldn't strip it just yet. I would change the oil again at another 200mi/300km and see what's in there then, changing the oil filter at the same time and carefully inspecting same.

I'm thinking that it might just be a one off clunky gearchange :worthy:

I found the same thing during an oil change as well. The good news is that it only happened once and I never have had a problem (knock on wood). Since then, it's just been the standard powdery residue on the magnet from the clutch plates wearing...SC

Some small pieces of metal infrequently appearing during oil changes is normal. Over the course of a normal service life of a transmission they will shed small pieces from the sides of the gears (the engagement "dogs"). This is where the gears actually transfer power to and from the mainshaft and countershaft and are subject to tremendous abuse. The best thing to do is use a magnetic drain plug to keep the sizable pieces form moving too far from the sump.

The '03 WR450's had some issues with 3rd and 4th gear failures (mine lost 3rd gear earlier this year) but the '04 and later WR's have had this issue resolved with improved materials and hardening processes for 3rd and 4th gear.

Thanks for feedback.

I'll give it another look in 300km with the new oil and filter and see how things are looking.

I feel less depressed after reading the posts that this may just be normal wear and tear. Thought of a gearbox rebuild is in the too hard basket for me!

Just remembered that this was the first oil chnage after fitting a new magnetic sump plug 700km ago so some of that steel may well have been hanging around the sump for a while.

If thats the case these magnetic sump plugs do a superb job!

I found the same thing during an oil change as well. The good news is that it only happened once and I never have had a problem (knock on wood). Since then, it's just been the standard powdery residue on the magnet from the clutch plates wearing...SC

I had the same size pieces on my 03 magnet. Six months later I replaced 3rd and 5th gear.

Update:

I changed the oil and filter ran it for 300km as per suggestions - no metal

Another oil and filter change 700km later - no metal

In both cases just the usual powdery stuff Clark4131 described.

So I avoided an engine stripdown :banghead: but will keep a close eye on the magnet / filter.