HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
turbowhine

How do you diagnose a rear shock?

5 posts in this topic

I suspect that I've damaged the rear shock on my '94 XRL. I noticed a very light oil leaking down the left side of the swingarm while the bike was on it's side stand. The settings are stock. I rode 2up just a few miles the other day and fear that I overloaded the rear. How can I tell if the suspension is damaged?

The action seems fairly smooth, and I notice a whoosh of air when pumping the rear, and I see a tiny bit of oil at the base of the shock.:worthy:

if you have oil leaking out then its time to have it rebuilt with new seals and oil. If thats stock and never had a rebuild from when it was made in 94 then that oil inside will be all broken down. Get it done and dialed in with the correct spring for your weight and youll definitely feel much better riding it.

+1 on denns post.
if you have oil leaking out then its time to have it rebuilt with new seals and oil. If thats stock and never had a rebuild from when it was made in 94 then that oil inside will be all broken down. Get it done and dialed in with the correct spring for your weight and youll definitely feel much better riding it.

How much is a rebuild of a rear shock? Ballpark...

id say under $100 ive had em done for arund $75, the price of the seal will change it if there hard to get or just priced more than others