I need a speedo for xr 600 r

Ive got an older (80's) XL/XR Honda Something on my 97 XR600R. Has all idiot lights, resettable ODO, and a large round speedo. I got it on Epay for pretty cheap. I bought that cause it had miles on it and I was in process of plating my bike. I also got a new speedo on Epay. Toy have choice of MPH or KMH. The US version is kinda odd (shows 37.5 MPH, etc(!?!) It was 50.00 bux +/- and looks Identical to newer XR/L speedos. If you need pics lemme know?

Guy, that is an old one. I had that speedo on my 78 XL250S. I do need one myself. My speedo crapped out a few months ago. All I have now in an odometer. I might try and pick up one of those.

One nice thing is that almost all the jap bikes use the same rpm to mph ratio. Something like 2240 RPM = 60 MPH or so. The main thing is mounting. As long as you can get it on there it should work.

The late 80's XR600's had a cool electronic speedometer. They are pricy though.

Don't forget that an aftermarket electronic unit, like a Vapor, are only $120.

If you're not stuck on a stock / OEM speedo, I put a "Cateye Astrale 8" cyclocomputer ($40) on my XR500 and it works great. Shimming the pickup off the forks to get it close enough to the magnet was the only mod needed. Stock units can be found with a little searching, and the speedo drives off the front axle are pretty much the same for many years (same wheel diameter) so it probably doesn't need to be the same year as your bike, just check the mounting bracket setup. Hope this helps, good luck, have fun. ?

• 6 years later...