Bridgestone 90/100/21 on 08 450

Went and tried out the larger 90/100/21 Bridgestone 403 front tire on my 08 at the races today. I also tried the 120/80/19 - 404 rear. It took some getting used to and the bike definitely doesn't turn as sharp. The rear works excellent but i will be switching back to the 80/100/21. I like the feel of the bigger tire in the deep loam but it seems hard to get it over on the edge through the turns. Maybe it needs some getting used to, i don't know. I guess thats why they come from the factory with a 80/100/21.

I tried the older M401 in a 90 on the '03, and while it worked well on hard and true intermediate soils, I didn't like it in sand or silt, and especially not the deep, loose DG at McCain Valley. There, it had a tendency to grab at submerged ruts with the sides of the tire, giving the bike an abnormally squirrelly feel.

One of the basic problems with riding in SoCal is that we don't really have much real intermediate dirt to play in. It's either packed hard as pavement, or busted up and ground into silt and gravel in between. Makes tire choices kind of tough.

I tried the older M401 in a 90 on the '03, and while it worked well on hard and true intermediate soils, I didn't like it in sand or silt, and especially not the deep, loose DG at McCain Valley. There, it had a tendency to grab at submerged ruts with the sides of the tire, giving the bike an abnormally squirrelly feel.

One of the basic problems with riding in SoCal is that we don't really have much real intermediate dirt to play in. It's either packed hard as pavement, or busted up and ground into silt and gravel in between. Makes tire choices kind of tough.

I have found that for an overall compromise on all the So.Cal tracks i race, i think i like the 756- 80/100/21 the best. The 742 FA that comes stock on the 08's isn't bad either.