yz426 noob questions

I just bought a 2000 and I was wondering what is the best air filter and oil filter. I think I am going to get the scotts oil filter, what is the best way to clean it? I need to repack the exhaust also. It is a big gun full system, are there instructions on how to repack it? Thanks

Is there instructions that come with the packing? I searched this site and someone said you have to decide on how much fiberglass to roll up and put in. I have never repacked exhaust. Do you think I can do it without experience? I also bought the 2 piece endcap with the spark arrestor. Im just trying to find a way to make it quieter without much work.

Most muffler packing comes with instructions and it's really not that complicated. Be sure to clean the inner perforated tube so that you open up all the holes. This will allow the exhaust gases to flow into the packing rather than being funnelled straight out the end. Remember to use a good silicone sealant when you reassemble the cannister also. You will be pleased at the sound reduction fresh packing provides as well as improved performance. I'd also inspect and regrease all the bearings while you're at it.

Congrats on the new ride, I love my 02':thumbsup:

I took my silencer apart and there is nothing in there. its just an empty can with an end cap. I dont have any metal core or anything. I think i now have to buy a race core or a quiet core, the race core is way cheaper than the quiet core. Will the race core make my bike any quieter. This has turned out to be a bigger project than i thought.

I have a 2000 426 and I have talked witha bunch of people and tech's about this bike. The common, hands-down consensus is that use the stock yamaha oil filter and replace it every oil change. the re-usable filters do not filter as well, since they are built to last a great length of time. Just thought i would put some two-cents in on that. Hope it helps a little bit.

I have a 2000 426 and I have talked witha bunch of people and tech's about this bike. The common, hands-down consensus is that use the stock yamaha oil filter and replace it every oil change. the re-usable filters do not filter as well, since they are built to last a great length of time. Just thought i would put some two-cents in on that. Hope it helps a little bit.
I disagree. The Scotts filter is a better choice. Here's my 2 cents:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4676297#post4676297