Fine dust getting past filter? Suggestions?

I'm using no toil oil and filters on my YZ. On some rides where there is very fine dust I see a layer of dust in my air boot. I hate this. I clean my filter every ride. I'm not necessarily blaming no toil but I also don't want to fry a motor if it's not the right product for my situation.

They sure are easy to clean though.

Suggestions?

I'm using no toil oil and filters on my YZ. On some rides where there is very fine dust I see a layer of dust in my air boot. I hate this. I clean my filter every ride. I'm not necessarily blaming no toil but I also don't want to fry a motor if it's not the right product for my situation.

They sure are easy to clean though.

Suggestions?

I get the same thing on my bike with any filter I use.I don't like the way the carb boot connects to the air box. I believe this is were it is getting in.I like the way it was designed on the older bikes with the metal ring on the outside of the airbox you could silicone it and forget about it. I am going to run a bead of silicone around the connection on the outside as well and see what happens.

Grayracer,

What is your cleaning procedure with Maxima. I have heard from others that it was good stuff. Our family has 4 bikes so I do a lot of cleaning. I was kind of hooked on the washing machine thing.

I plan to seal the air boot with silicone gasket sealer immediately too.

I have used No-Toil exclusively for the last 5 years and I don't recall ever experiencing what you described. No-Toil, when used properly (adequate amount of oil, filter installed correctly, etc...), is hands down the best filter system I have used. The ease of cleaning makes it easy to keep clean air filters in my bike every ride.

I have had filters fall apart, but not from No-Toil. Other solvents however have been known to eat glue, hands, and just about everything else it comes into contact with.

The only thing that may be considered a hassle about No-Toil is it's tendency to dry up a bit after a few days, leading to a less efficient filter. To avoid this, I always throw on a new filter the night before or the day of, which is no hassle at all really when I think about the time saved when cleaning.

try putting some rim grease on it...and maybe you're using the wrong filter. they have 3 different filters for different types of riding (different size pores depending on riding conditions i.e. supermoto, dusty, etc)

Use Maxima FFT and clean the filter each ride. I've been using it here in SoCal under the dustiest imaginable conditions for quite a while, and it does the job. I tried No-Toil because I was interested in the clean up advantages, but it was a major disappointment.

i use notoil and it cleans up really well...not using the notoil filter just the oil and cleaner and rim grease..using the stock yz filter and i forgot what that is.

i use notoil and it cleans up really well...not using the notoil filter just the oil and cleaner and rim grease..using the stock yz filter and i forgot what that is.
It wasn't the clean up I was disappointed with.
Grayracer,

What is your cleaning procedure with Maxima. I have heard from others that it was good stuff. Our family has 4 bikes so I do a lot of cleaning. I was kind of hooked on the washing machine thing.

I use mineral spirits. I have it stored in a bucket with a lid on it, and a coarse screen a couple of inches off the bottom. They clean up quite easily in this, and dry out on their own if hung overnight. With the FFT, there is no need to grease the rim. The oil itself seals the flange just fine. The only issue is the dirty solvent, which is why No-Toil was attractive, but that didn't work as I wanted it to.

I use the FFT also. Its super tacky and makes a mess, but it won't let dust thru.

I clean mine in my parts washer (mineral spirits) and then I rinse them in hot soapy water.

I use the no toil filters, but not the chemicals. The no toil filter element is made very well and they also fit very well. The FFT/mineral spirits haven't hurt them yet.

Use Maxima FFT and clean the filter each ride. I've been using it here in SoCal under the dustiest imaginable conditions for quite a while, and it does the job. I tried No-Toil because I was interested in the clean up advantages, but it was a major disappointment.

Likewise i tried the no-toil once. It was a bad deal even for free. I have been using the Twin-Air system with the bucket of Dirt remover solvent and the bucket of the thick blue Twin-Air oil. Its a bit pricey for the kit but it will clean your filter a hundred times. Works excellent in my opinion.