my almost-supermoto xr600 almost done

should be riding it right now but discovered 2 broken spoke heads on the rear wheel while deep cleaning getting ready for the new tire. had the honda shop order a couple new ones. hopefully be riding by mid-week. went the cheaper route of lacing up (by buchanans) a stock honda hub and a 2.15"X18" excel for the front and keeping it 18" in the back. avon road riders am26 110/80-18 front and 120/80-18 rear. tried to get the cheaper supermoto front fender for front but it was on backorder so just went with the acerbis fender. its kinda been a challenge but i'm hoping its worth it in the end. not sure if i really saved a whole lot of money going this route but i'm a cheapskate. plus i'll never really test its limits anyhow. hopefully the weather holds out a few more weeks so i can see what its like.

i gotta thank 97xr400r as i copied what he did to his honda and asked him lots of questions.

before:

nov3012.jpg

almost done:

nov3a002.jpg

nov3a001.jpg

I like the 18" rear. Is there any downside?

someone in the supermoto section of TT said that 17" front and rear was a much better way to go in a discussion about rim size. both my 18" rims are 2.15 X 18 and those fancy SM setups have much wider rims and tires. i'll probably just drive it on the street anyways so i dont really need the 17" setup. we'll see.

I've got an 07 650L and I'm wanting to do something with the wheels. 18" front looks good. I'm cheap too and that just might be a way for me to go. What did ya use for a wheel and spokes and is that license plate/tail light assy a stock item for that bike. Thanks man.

wheel is a excel takasgo 2.15 x 18 36 spoke that i got for cheap ($37 shipped)from the wanted section here on TT from a nice guy named scott fredrickson. it was from his 02 wr426. i was going to just order the spokesand nipples from buchanans (about $72)and try to lace it myself but i chickened out (lady at buchanans said that spokes we special order and if they were wrong then they were non-refundable). so i just sent (about $12)the bare rim and a new honda hub ($111.61 shipped from Service Honda)to them and they laced and trued for $97. totoal bill from Buchanans including shipping was $192.31. spent $165.83 on the tires shipped to me from MAW. Kenda tubes and acerbis fender were $55.57 shipped from the TT store. local honda shop charged me $15 to mount and balance the front. we will have to wait and see what the rear is going to cost because of the broken spokes. i'll have them disassemble the rear and install the new spokes and put it on their truing stand. then install the new tire. so so far i'm into it for about $575 could have save some money lacing and truing myself and Cheng Sing Barracudas would have been $30-40 bucks cheaper. i would like to find a cheap rear wheel to put some knobbies on so i can swap back and forth between street and trail. that will have to wait.

as far as the rear license plate/taillight, i bought the bike with the Baja Designs kit already installed.

black tank cover was from ebay. its got some wrinkles but its not too bad

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you did it cheap, and that's cool - new brakes would have added to the cost. How do I know? Check out My Garage. ?

Have a great time on that thing. Mine's a hoot.

When you can afford it, work on the suspension. The stock stuff for mine was way, way too mushy for the street. Consider a smaller sprocket for the back, too, so you don't have to rev the crap out of the bike to ride at street speeds.

One question - my side panels aren't pretty, but I can't find any replacements other than white. Are those white with some vinyl stuck on?

hey martinfan, ballpark figure is $600. could have been cheaper if i would have done more work myself or settled for cheaper tires. had to buy 5 new spokes for the back and had the rim trued before new tire was installed. the tires are avon road riders am26 on stock size rims(2.15 x 18in). look on page 1 for more details. back tire required NO weights. the service tech said that doesnt happen ofter. the brace was on it when i bought it.

hey foolish mortal, did you go with a 45T on the back sprocket? thats what i'm considering. i've got a 15T up front.

and the panels just have vinyl on them. thats how i bought it 2 years ago.

i think i can get into LOTS of trouble with this thing now!!!

hey martinfan, ballpark figure is $600. could have been cheaper if i would have done more work myself or settled for cheaper tires. had to buy 5 new spokes for the back and had the rim trued before new tire was installed. the tires are avon road riders am26 on stock size rims(2.15 x 18in). look on page 1 for more details. back tire required NO weights. the service tech said that doesnt happen ofter. the brace was on it when i bought it.

hey foolish mortal, did you go with a 45T on the back sprocket? thats what i'm considering. i've got a 15T up front.

and the panels just have vinyl on them. thats how i bought it 2 years ago.

i think i can get into LOTS of trouble with this thing now!!!

Mine's a bit different. I put on 17" wheels - if you believe a gearing calculator I found on 4strokes.com, doing that alone is like adding three teeth in the back. Keeping the stock gearing would have meant higher revs (and more shifting) to achieve the same speed versus stock wheels.

I went to 15/45. On your 18" wheel, that would be like 14/45 or 15/48 (same difference). I like it because I can cruise through town in 2nd at 35mph with the revs at the midrange and 75mph in 5th on the freeway is fine...aside from the windblast. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Im happy to see the results of this! My bike is still seized, it'll be done by christmas none the less and I'll post some track day SM visits

BTW: how does it ride? I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my 1991 xr600 as it worked out so nicely on my 400.

Im happy to see the results of this! My bike is still seized, it'll be done by christmas none the less and I'll post some track day SM visits

BTW: how does it ride? I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my 1991 xr600 as it worked out so nicely on my 400.

well, got a couple days and a few miles on it before it got cold out. no snow yet but soon. it's a blast to ride. let my kid try it out and he came back grinning. maybe he will change his mind about a crotch rocket and want to ride this instead. then i'll have to explain to the wife why i need a new bike!!

good luck on getting your 400 going.