Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schwagman

'07 650 L Gearing or Sprocket

13 posts in this topic

Hopefully this is only a sprocket change.

Well, I've had her in the dirt and quickly realized the gearing/sprocket on the "L" seems to be set up for street use. Can't seem to enjoy trail riding with the kids without being ready to bog down in 1st or going 45mph in 2nd gear.

Is there a known sprocket ratio that you guys have been using for dirt, or do I have to crack the cases. I'm a 90% dirt rider. The 10% would be if I have to cross the highway or street to get to the Desert Rose.

Thanks for all the insight.

Schwagg

Alot of people will go down a tooth in the front 15 to 14 while keeping the rear stock. I currently have this but my trail rides are tight rocky New England trails, seems to work good for me. Not sure about other combinations. Try a search if you haven't already, I know this has been covered before.

No need to replace the transmission. The stock sprockets are 15 in the front (countershaft) and 45 on the rear. If your chain is still in good shape the simple thing to do is to get a smaller countershaft sprocket. There is a 14 that is widely available and a few manufacturers make a 13. It is a quick operation to swap the front sprocket. Put a 14 (or even 13) on for the trails and put the 15 on for the roads.

You can also go to a larger rear sprocket, but this usually requires a new longer chain. When you replace your chain always go with new sprockets.

14/48 will fit. Trust me! I tried the 15/48 first and it wasn't low enough so I went to the 14 ct. no problem with the stock chain. I did this at roughly 1500 mi.

14/48 will fit. Trust me! I tried the 15/48 first and it wasn't low enough so I went to the 14 ct. no problem with the stock chain. I did this at roughly 1500 mi.

How is this on the street?

Was thinking of going with 14/46 or 47 and keeping a 15 CS for any longer road riding. I plonk along slowly off road so lower gearing would be great but need/love to ride street too.

15/45 long road trips (more than 75 miles), 14/45 for commuting every day & 14/48 on fire roads & 13/48 for rocks, goat trails, or anything really tight.

But I have 2 sets of wheels that make this an easy swap out (one for dirt and the other for street).

[quote

But I have 2 sets of wheels that make this an easy swap out (one for dirt and the other for street).

+1 on the different set of wheels. I have several sets. Street I have the 45 on the rear. Dot Dualsport I run 14 48. Keep the 15 with me if it will include long freeway runs(mpg), although the 14 48 will do fine on freeway. Desert set up is 14 50/51. I personally dont like going down to 13. I would rather go up in the rear. I have put a longer chain on to allow my different needs.

get you a new 14 front first then see how you like it and if you have to add to the rear then you can. Fronts are pretty cheap and you will notice a good difference from 15 to 14 front. Try it out and if not go between a 47 and 48 rear.